How to enable Issue cache for large issues

Our recent Issues typically have 150+ articles, and the home page takes 5+ seconds to load. We suspect this high TTFB is due to data retrieval because smaller issues load faster.

I noticed that IssueHandler can load a cached issue, but I can not find detailed documentation on how to cache published issues to reduce page load times. Turning on the cache options in config.inc.php leads to 500 errors. We have several journals set up on subdomains and redirect/rewrite times are negligible.

Does anyone have experience setting it up? It would be great to know how you set up caching.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @spppaperview,

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello @asmecher! Here is the info:

OJS 3.2.1.1
OS platform Linux
PHP version 7.4.9
Apache version Apache
Database driver mysqli
Database server version 5.7.31

Hi @spppaperview,

Gotcha, thanks. Before I look into this further, could you check to see whether the indexes suggested in issue 6301 improve performance? There are database queries suggested there to create them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @spppaperview,

It’s not surprising that 3.2.1-1 performs more slowly than 3.1.1-4 – the addition of submission versioning increased the complexity there. However, that’s still a lot slower than it could be with a bit of optimization, I suspect, and your number of articles is simply demonstrating that more than most sites. Would you be willing to share your database with me privately?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I ran the suggested SQL commands, but no improvement.

I’ll spend next week trying to figure out if it is hardware or version related.

The live site on v3.1.1.4 is slightly faster: TTFB ~1.6 s

The development on v3.2.1.1 is on a different vhost configuration, and different spec hardware TTFB ~5 s

Timing on home page (Current Issue) as calculated by Google PageSpeed Insights.