How to disable 'Choose Section' in Submit form (OJS)?

Hey, first post here. I’m glad I found this forum. I’m currently doing maintenance for an OJS magazine and my boss asked me to hide the Choose Section part from the authors’ Submit form. I’ve included a screenshot so you know exactly what I’m talking about. I have Manager Editor access. Is there any way to choose a default section that all the submissions go to? The authors are having problems knowing which section to choose from the dropdown menu, so if I could set a default section for everything to I know something like this can be accomplished because I saw it in another magazine…

Thank you in advance!

Hi @vzntn,

If you go into the Journal Manager’s “Journal Sections” interface and edit each section, you’ll see a checkbox that restricts submissions to each section to Editors only. If you do that for every section except one, then OJS will automatically use that section for new submissions from authors (who are not Editors) and will hide the drop-down.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes

Alright! Thank you so much for the quick response! Too bad we have about 80 sections and I’ll have to do it one by one. Maybe a macro will speed things up…

Hi @vzntn,

Or if you’re handy with SQL, you can change the editor_restricted flag in the sections table that way.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for the tip. I do know SQL, but I don’t have server access :confused: it’s a
journal for a kind of big organization, I don’t even know who I’d have to
talk to to get access.

The past editors used to create different sections for each issue and we
ended up with a 83 section list.