How to control the submissions - OJS 3.0.2

Hello there.
When I edited the information about the submissions of Articles, I limited the abstract to 150 words. Even so, if an author submits an article with more words in the abstract than those 150, the process of submission keeps going on like always.
Is there a way to keep the submission process from going forward unless the author respects the maximum number of words in the abstract?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Alina_T,

Did you edit the system to add a field for abstract word limits? If so, what did you change?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher

I went to Journal Settings - Sections - Articles (this one I added by hand). When I clicked on ‘Edit’ (the section ‘Articles’), I immediately saw a field that said “Word Count” (followed by a note saying “Limit abstract word counts for this section (0 for no limit)”), and there was where I added “150”.
It was the only thing I changed (because it was the only place I saw to edit such a thing).

Best regards

Hi @Alina_T,

Ah, I see. This field isn’t currently working – I’ve filed that for attention at Section word count field is inoperative · Issue #2571 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. Feel free to sign up for notifications and/or pitch in your preferences.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher

Thank you for doing this.
Can you give me an estimated time until this option becomes available again?

Best regards

Hi @Alina_T,

That feature is currently scheduled against OJS 3.2, which is due for release in December according to our milestones page. However, that’s only a very vague schedule and I would expect it to be delayed somewhat.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher

Thanks for the feedback on that issue.
I have another question regarding control over the submissions: Is there a way to limit the number of keywords an author is allowed to add when trying to submit an article?

Best regards

Hi @Alina_T,

Not at the moment – you’d need to modify OJS. We have discussed supporting controlled vocabularies (i.e. restricting submitters from entering arbitrary keywords and forcing them to choose from a fixed set) and will likely add this as an option in a future release.

Next time, to help keep the forum organized, please post unrelated questions as new topics.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi Alec,

Thank you once again.
I asked this last question in this topic because it was also related to “How to control the submissions”. But next time I will post in a different topic.

Best regards