How can I remove the need to fill in metadata on abstract upload/submission?

Hi.

I’m setting up the current version of OCS for an organisation and my users have asked specifically to remove the requirement to fill out metadata on the submission of a paper or abstract. They find it particularly onerous and cumbersome for their specific purposes.

Is there a way that we can effectively skip these steps entirely and all we’d have is a workflow that asks to upload a paper against a logged in user and that is effectively it?

Thanks!

Hi @zebra,

Under “Scheduled Conference Setup”, have you experimented with the options under “Submission Process”? Specifically, I think “Full proposal (File upload only; no abstract submitted)” might be what you want. Note that changing this will not affect existing submissions, only new ones.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi.

Tried this, but, unfortunately, it still makes me fill out a page on “metadata”. All we really wanted was to be able to skip said page…

Thanks.

-jc

Hi @zebra,

Under the “Indexing” area of the same setup form, you can turn off almost all the fields there – but you’ll still need at least a submission title, so there is a minimum requirement.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Indeed, I’ve unticked all the default options already for them - but they are still unhappy with having the “bio information” etc etc to fill out. Their perception is that you’ve got enough information from people already given you’ve had to sign up to be able to submit an abstract already, such that this information could in theory be used for the submission as well…

But thanks for trying, I really do appreciate it.

Hi @zebra,

The author information should be pre-filled from the user’s account – the fields are presented there for review and to permit adding co-authors. You should be able to hide these with CSS or something similar, but there’s no built-in feature to prevent OCS from presenting them.

Regards,
Alec Smecher