Force SSL on leads to ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Hi,

we got a SSL-certificate today so I changed the base url to ‘https://www.zjapanr.de’ and switched line 240 in the config.inc.php to On. Without SSL the site runs without a problem. When forcing it everything goes downhill. The same problem applies to another site www.zchinr.org which is hosted on the same server. I tried to set the base URL to ‘//www.zchinr.org’ to see if there is any difference but it’s not working anyway.

OJS version is 3.1.0.1.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Hi @D_Schroeder_Micheel,

Are you using mod_rewrite or similar? I wonder whether something there is causing problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

The webserver is sitting behing a reverse proxy so we figured that to be the problem.

See: OJS 3 behind reverse proxy - how to achieve? - #17 by D_Schroeder_Micheel

Now I am facing problems with the upload to the public directory (cover for an issue). Not sure if this is related to the whole SSL thing though.

Hi @D_Schroeder_Micheel,

That’s likely a problem with file permissions in your public directory. Check the FAQ area of this forum for some discussion of file permissions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for pointing me towards the solution! I have checked the error logged which showed that OJS couldn’t write into the temp directory.

Thanks again!