Files browser showing articles and issues of files/ directory

Hello all,

We are working on migrating the data from our busted install to a new 2.4.7-1. I noticed that in the public folder there is access to articles and issues folders. Are these specific to the public folder or are they from the files submission folder?

There are no folders withing the public folder, but there is a ton of new folders listed inside the files folder, which was created by whoever installed it, I suppose, as I don’t think the installation has changed that step.

Hi @ramon,

Within the files_dir, which should never be accessible via the web server, OJS keeps submission documents, including both the published, “final” version of the article, but also the in-progress content that shouldn’t be accessible to the public.

Within the public directory, which should be accessible via the web server, OJS keeps stylesheets, cover images, and other elements of content that don’t need to be access-controlled and are known “safe” file formats.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Alec,

That wasn’t really my question.
My question is:
The files browser (within journal administration) lists Articles and Issues folders, but these only exists within the files folder that was probably created for submissions during install.

Since I didn’t install this OJS (and the files folder is at OJS root, but it’s in a DEV server for now…), I’m not sure what to think about these folders… On another test install, they don’t show up…

Hi @ramon,

I’m still not sure I’m following the question fully. When you say “public folder”, do you mean the web server’s document root? Or the public subdirectory within the OJS installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,

Sorry for the confusion.
I mean the ojs/public folder, not just the Web server’s public folder.
Currently, the submission folder is inside ojs folder (ojs/files).
When I move this installation to a production server I’ll request them to move it outside of it.
Maybe images will explain better?
I just installed this OJS 2.4.7-1 (reinstalled because database connections and normalization was not set to UTF-8 from the start…). The image below is from the index, meaning just clicked no the management link. So, my question remains: are these folders the ones from the ojs/files/ or from ojs/public/??

Hi @ramon,

Those will be the contents of ojs/files.

Note that it’s unsafe to put the files_dir somewhere web-accessible – we’ve had reports of people attacking sites configured this way. You should also be able to protect it using .htaccess or something similar in the meantime.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello Alec,

I get the security issues and will hope that our IT handles it correctly.
Now, there’s no access to ojs/public folder anywhere?
How do I create a custom folder and upload files to it, by journal?
This should be availalbe somewhere as well.

[UPDATE]
I “solved” my problem creating a symbolic link within the journal’s specific submissions folder.
Command: ln -s ../../../public/journals/1/ public

So that the name of the folder would be public instead of 1.
When moving this to a production server, we’ll probably have to recreate the link.