Failed update from 2.4.8.1 to 3.02

Hosted site at GoDaddy: http://www.ecocycles.eu/ojs/index.php/Ecocycles/index.
Managed to revert to 2.4.8.1, but the “USER HOME” link produces “500 (Internal Server) Error”, not only for me (site administrator), but for other users, too. Guess it is a database problem, but I do not know what do with it without making things worse…

Sorry, if it wasn’t as clear as intended: all users can log in. After logging in, everything works, with the exception of the “USER HOME” link on the Navigation bar.

Hi @tkomives

Could you take a look in the error logs when accessing that page? Is there any error?

(Always do the whole backup before upgrading/changing something :slight_smile: And if possible, such a big upgrade should be first tested on a test installation.)

Best,
Bozana

Dear Bozana,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, of course, you are absolutely right. As you may know already, I was very close to messing my site up completely… As a matter of fact, I am very happy to have it back to the state it exists now.

I think the problem is with the database (something I know nothing about), and I do not know how to fix that. On the PKP forum there are different solutions suggested and discussed, but those are way above my level.

You asked about the error log: my site is hosted at Godaddy’s under Windows and I have access to the database via phpMyAdmin. Could you tell me how to look for the error log?

What I am doing right now is to set up OJS 3.1 on a different site (ecocyclesjournal.org, I just bought it at Godaddy and working to set it up; not functional yet), and will try to import the database there. I am afraid it will not work, because when I created a new empty database at the site my journal uses (ecocycles.eu) and tried to import the database there, only 12 rows very imported.

Thanking you for your time and help again,

With best wishes,

Tamas

Dear Bozana,

I did make some progress: now I have a working installation of ojs2 (http://ecocyclesjournal.org/2/ojs/ojs/) and also one of ojs3 (http://ecocyclesjournal.org/3/ojs/ojs/index.php/ecocycles3).

When I dumped the existing (empty) database from the first installation and tried to import the one of the operating journal to it I got the error message (the characters in bold were in Hungarian, I translated them to English):
Error

SQL-request:

INSERT INTO article_search_keyword_list
VALUES ( 99935 , ‘das’ ) ;

MySQL indicates: [ http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/error-messages-server.html ]
#1062 - Duplicate entry ‘das’ for key ‘article_search_keyword_text’

I hope it helps…

Best wishes, Tamas

Dear Bozana,

An update: I managed to partially import the current database to the freshly installed 2.4.8.2 version (http://ecocyclesjournal.org/2/ojs/ojs/index.php/Ecocycles/index). It is fully functional, but, unfortunately, does not contain the last two issues of the journal (probably, because of the backup copy was that old). OJS 3.1 did not accept the database and gave an error message.

Obviously, I really would like to have everything that was published, and (strangely) is currently available from the “imperfect” current site: http://www.ecocycles.eu/ojs/index.php/Ecocycles/index

Do you think this can be done?

With best wishes, Tamas

Hi @tkomives,

I see you have finally managed to migrate OJS 2 to that new server, correct? Did you also copy the public folder? – there are the images e.g. header and cover images.

What did you do with the problem with the article_search_keyword_list table? – The error you got when migrating article_search_keyword_list could mean that the MySQL version and its collation is different on the new site. Thus, checkout also the requirements for the migration: PHP version, MySQL version,…
The 3 tables article_search_... are not so important for the migration – they contain the indexed words for the search – so you could try to remove that part from your DB dump (not the tables, just data). Later, when everything is migrated you can rebuild the index (for the search) using the command php tools/runScheduledTasks.php from your OJS folder – I do not know how you do that on Godaddy.

I am unfortunately not familiar with Godaddy, so I do now know where you would find the apache i.e. PHP error logs there – maybe you can ask support there or see if it is written in any documentation/FAQs or … – it is good to know and to track if something goes wrong…

Best,
Bozana

Hi Bozena,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I uploaded a copy of the “public” folder, too. Unfortunately, there seems to be a “synchronization” problem here - will look at it later…

As regards to the article_search_keyword_list table, you will surely laugh now: I downloaded the “erronous” sql database file, opened it in Wordpad, and looked for the number of rows where the problem was. Then just changed the problematic word ‘das’ to ‘dax’, and saved it. To my pleasant surprise the “edited” sql file was accepted by the new 2.4.8.2 installation (but not the 3.1) and represents the state, in which the database was when I last backed it up (a few months ago, shame on me).

I would like to update the new (hopefully stable) 2.4.8.2 installation with all the missing publications (unfortunately, the issue export-import plugin is not working - there is some work to do here). I had no time yet to deal with the 3 tables article_search_… that you wrote about, will do it in the afternoon (it is lunchtime here now :-). If you do not mind, I will keep you informed…

Best wishes,

Tamas

Dear Bozana,

In the meantime, following your advice, I managed to fix all the problems related to ojs-2.4.8-1 (even upgarded to 2.4.8-3), and the site works fine.

Before trying another update to ojs 3 I installed a clean 3.1.0-1. During the first test runs I found that when submitting a file, the text in the boxes Languages, Discipline(s) and Supporting Agencies at the"Enter Metadata" stage are not saved, and the submission cannot be finished. Could you help me with this one, too?

Best wishes,

Tamas

Hi Tamas,

Glad that you could fix the problem! :-)))
Hmmm… And do you see any error on that web page or in the error log file when saving the form?
Hmmm…

Best,
Bozana

Dear Bozana,

When I fill in all the boxes at the “3. Enter metadata” phase and click on “Save and continue” a small post (black and purple) appears on the upper right hand corner with the text:

Errors occurred processing this form

Required

Required

Required

and the text from the boxes Languages, Discipline(s), Keywords, and Supporting Agencies disappears. And, if I fill the boxes in again, the same thing happens.

I downloaded the quickSubmit plugin from GitHub and uploaded it to the system manually (it was immediately recognized and listed by the system). Could this be the problem?

Best wishes, Tamas

Dear Tamas,

Ah, yes, there were a few issues with those tagit fields:

1. required tagit metadata fields not validated · Issue #3157 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub
  2. "Subject" / "subjects" field "required" flag not behaving as expected · Issue #3311 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

The patches only exist for the master branch and will be available in the next OJS release 3.1.1 that is coming very soon. However, you could maybe try to apply the following changes:

1. pkp/pkp-lib#3157 fix required tagit metadata fields validation by NateWr · Pull Request #3241 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub
  2. pkp/pkp-lib#3311 rename tagit field subject into subjects by bozana · Pull Request #3312 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub
    Together with this change you would need to execute these SQL statements in your database:
    UPDATE journal_settings SET setting_name = 'subjectsEnabledSubmission' WHERE setting_name = 'subjectEnabledSubmission'
    UPDATE journal_settings SET setting_name = 'subjectsEnabledWorkflow' WHERE setting_name = 'subjectEnabledWorkflow'
    UPDATE journal_settings SET setting_name = 'subjectsRequired' WHERE setting_name = 'subjectRequired'

And the following change is the fix for the context changes of those fields to stay (and not disappear) also if the error occurs: pkp/pkp-lib#2571 fix submisison metadata form re-display · pkp/pkp-lib@a70b4db · GitHub

I hope that helps…
Best,
Bozana

Dear Bozana, thank you for all your help. Now I have a functional 3.1.0.1 under Linux (I just can’t install it under Windows, GoDaddy hosting, always run into 500 error messages - still keep trying). I think I will continue the upgrade of my system with the 3.1.1. When do you think it will be public? With best wishes, Tamas

Hi @tkomives

3.1.1 will probably be released in a few weeks, in March…

Best,
Bozana

Thanks, Bozana, for your reply. I’ll wait then (with two 2.4.8-3 systems running fine). Best wishes, Tamas