Expected update of OJS 3

Hi, I would like to update to OJS 3, but would like to go to a better version than 3.0.0 as there are still many issues unresolved. When do you expect any newer update of OJS 3 to be made online?

You’ll want to watch the milestones for the 3.0.1 release here: Milestones - pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

The currently expectation is later this month:

Hi @nicknamed,

Are there any particular unresolved issues that you’re looking at?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alex,
well, we just did upgrade from old 2x through maybe 3-4 version up to the newest 2.x version and crossref export of DOIs stopped working for all journals (conference one I am writing further and three other). It shows no issues with exportable dois available although doi plugin is enabled. I am not sure if I can simply Reassign the DOI or try to upgrade it to version 3. The question linked to DOI links is that I need to rename path to one journal (its called CBUConference2013) and since it includes all conference since 2013 I would like to have CBUIC as a name. When we did this change, it killed the DOIS and those did not export correctly for first issue which had different path in that DOI link compared to other issues. Now its all broken for more than 300 articles and I am trying to figure out somewhat quick solution to get the all doi links work. By broken I mean I cannot export not a single issue out of four…and I did check recently for all journals. You can see the site at ojs.journals.cz

Petr

Hi @nicknamed,

@bozana may be able to help you with the CrossRef issue.

I’m not sure if you mean that you applied each upgrade separately, but note that you can usually upgrade directly from an older version of OJS to a newer version of OJS without having to worry about all the intermediate versions – with a few exceptions (e.g. OJS 2.3.x or older to 3.0), in which case you’ll be warned when you try to run an upgrade.

Your first post suggested you were encountering unresolved issues with OJS 3.0, not 2.4.x – details would be appreciated!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alex,
well upgrading to OJS 3 was original plan, but since we were readng about so many problematic issues we decided to stop with latest 2x version (we did it in a single upgrade getting up from some 244 to 248 if I remember correctly the versions).
Well. I noticed just recently that for conference first three issues disappeared for export but it worked when I clicked export all even if in the list was just issue 4. Before transfering the new upgrade 248 to main server hosting, I tested this functionality, so it disappeared somewhere on the way. The problem is now it says No issues currently have DOIs assigned. + I need to change the path of conference issues and so I need the export to crossref to work properly and then we would like to move to OJS 301. I did reasssign all DOIs for the conference, but it did affect nothing. I hope I shed on this some more light…
Petr

Hi @nicknamed

I think you don’t see any Issue listed because all article DOIs in those issues are already registered, could that be? But you should see and be able to use the Article listing ( Home > User > Journal Manager > Import/Export Data > CrossRef Export/Registration Plugin > Manage Article DOIs), right?
You wrote:

When we did this change, it killed the DOIS and those did not export correctly for first issue which
had different path in that DOI link compared to other issues. Now its
all broken for more than 300 articles and I am trying to figure out
somewhat quick solution to get the all doi links work.

What do you mean with “killed the DOIS”? And what does it mean “those did not export correctly”?

You should be careful with reassigning the DOIs, because the DOI could change, if you changed anything from the suffix pattern, e.g. journal initials (in Setup 1). Also, maybe there is no need for that.

Best,
Bozana

Hi @nicknamed

Hmmm… When I search for one DOI of your journal I get the new URL i.e. with the changed journal path :open_mouth: It seems you already registered (at least) some of them anew? See for example here: http://api.crossref.org/works/10.12955/cbup.v2.440. The URL is http://ojs.journals.cz/index.php/CBUIC/article/viewFile/440/431 i.e. with the new journal path CBUIC :open_mouth:

Best,
Bozana

@nicknamed
To resolve problem with different URL’s for already registered DOI’s all you have to do is to update them again (we have done this yesterday for two journals and over 500 articles). When I contacted Crossref about this issue (before upgrading our system to OJS 3.0 and separating all journals to individual domains and installations) they answer was that you can update DOI’s by sending correction XML (you can export xml from ojs), updating it automatically (re registering DOI’s from OJS) or creating document with correct URL’s and sending them for manual corrections (this wasn’t an option, it would be if OJS 3 doesn’t change URL pattern). Yesterday I have simply registered DOI’s for articles again and after couple of minutes all DOI’s pointed to new domain (as simple as that).

Dear Bozana,
I did not change the scheme that generates DOIs, so nothing changed and I waited for a reply…and yes you are right, when I check the articles, it works, so I can generate new XML this way. Now I will change the path and will let you know if it worked. I hope it will… (previously first issue out of four did not update correctly - but that maybe I can update by editign XML myself or with help of crossref).
by killed dois I though by seeing no issues with exported DOIs that the system thinks there are no dois assigned within the system, although it was enabled. I was wrong, good then :slight_smile:
Petr