Error: “You don’t currently have access to that stage of the workflow.”

Dear all and @asmecher,

Out of a sudden, I have the same issue of “You don’t currently have access to that stage of the workflow.” while using the OJS 3.3.0.5. Then I upgrade to OJS 3.3.0.8 and I am still having the issue. I could not upload any files. IT will lead to my account being logged out. This happens to my administrative account as well. I was at the moment the copyeditor as well as the production editor. In both roles, I could not upload any files at copyediting and production levels.

Here are the error logs:

[11-Oct-2021 08:43:51 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Warning:  array_intersect(): Expected parameter 2 to be an array, null given in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/pages/workflow/PKPWorkflowHandler.inc.php on line 157
[11-Oct-2021 10:08:17 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Warning:  Declaration of ManageCopyeditFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles, $fileStage = NULL) should be compatible with ManageSubmissionFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles = NULL, $fileStage = NULL, ...$functionArgs) in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/files/copyedit/form/ManageCopyeditFilesForm.inc.php on line 33
[11-Oct-2021 10:09:11 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Warning:  Declaration of ManageCopyeditFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles, $fileStage = NULL) should be compatible with ManageSubmissionFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles = NULL, $fileStage = NULL, ...$functionArgs) in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/files/copyedit/form/ManageCopyeditFilesForm.inc.php on line 33
[11-Oct-2021 10:10:32 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur] PHP Warning:  Declaration of ManageCopyeditFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles, $fileStage = NULL) should be compatible with ManageSubmissionFilesForm::execute($stageSubmissionFiles = NULL, $fileStage = NULL, ...$functionArgs) in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/controllers/grid/files/copyedit/form/ManageCopyeditFilesForm.inc.php on line 33
[11-Oct-2021 02:32:25 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Oct-2021 02:32:25 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 1, Title: Primary Navigation Menu, Area: primary) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Oct-2021 02:32:25 UTC] WARNING: The NavigationMenu (ContextId: 0, Title: User Navigation Menu, Area: user) will be skipped because the specified area has already a NavigationMenu attached.
[11-Oct-2021 02:33:31 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getConnection() on null in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php:74
Stack trace:
#0 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php(200): Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager::connection()
#1 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php(65): Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager::__callStatic('raw', Array)
#2 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/context/ContextDAO.inc.php(63): DAO->retrieve('SELECT * FROM j...', Array)
#3 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(252): ContextDAO->getByPath('nrnotes')
#4 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php(760): PKPRouter->getContext(Object(Request), 1)
#5 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/classes/core/Request.inc.php(64): PKPRequest->_delegateToRouter('getContext', 1)
#6 /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/classe in /home/neurosc1/public_html/ojs/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/Capsule/Manager.php on line 74

What should I do? Please help.
@neuroscirn

Hi @neuroscirn,

I’ve separated your post into a new post from the previous post you’ve posted on. It might be better to deal with this as a separate topic since you’re dealing with a different version than the other post. When you are trying to access the copyediting and production levels can you confirm that you have added those roles to your account? So, if you go to Users & Roles (under the Settings Menu) search for your account - click “Edit User” - do you have all of the relevant roles selected? You might also want to check to see if you have the roles you are using have the appropriate access assigned under “Users & Roles” > “Roles” - you can edit the roles to ensure that the roles you have assigned to you have access to the relevant parts of the workflow (e.g. copyediting and production). Sometimes we’ve found this to be the case when people encounter this error. If you could check this first, that would be appreciated - if it doesn’t work, we can see about looking at your error log messages.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hello everyone,

I have been having this issue intermittently with my account with copyediting and production roles. Even with my owner account, I could not upload any files at copyediting and production phases with the error message. Then I set up a new account for the same purpose but it could not upload anything too. This has been happening to 1 PC and 1 laptop that I used to deal with all the OJS copyediting and production matters. When I used a different laptop, I could upload the same file.

It seems like some security issue with only specific workstations leading to the error message but I could not troubleshoot this at all as there is no error log for the events.

Every time this happens, I will be automatically logged out of my account. I also clear the cache and log out all users using the owner account and still to no prevail. I also tried changing the SSL setting in the config file in all possible combinations and still not possible. As soon as I changed to a different workstation (apart from the 2 earlier laptop and PC), I could.

Any suggestion on what to troubleshoot? It is annoying that I need to use someone else laptop just to upload files for copyediting and production stages.

P.S. It is like a disease, I afraid that my colleague’s workstation will sooner or later get the same error message. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Michael/@neuroscirn

Hi @neuroscirn

The editor told me that one of the journal’s author got the same Popup messsge: “You don’t currently have access to that stage of the workflow” when he was trying upload 2 PDF files to Revision stage. So this author sent these files to the editor by email and the editor trying to upload the files using the same credentials as the author. The result was that the editor got to upload the files without any kind of trouble, this confirmed that the trouble was not related with roles in the author’s user account. So this makes me think that the trouble is some kind of restriction in the author’s computer, however I could’t say what it could be, the antivirus, the firewall or some network settings?

This is the environment:
OJS 3.3.0.8
PHP-FPM 7.4.33
Apache: 2.4
MySQL 5.7.41

1 Like

Dear @juancure ,
Yes, I have the same problem and still have it regardless of which version of OJS that I use. It is certainly a firewall and security issue that I don’t know how to troubleshoot. What I did was I started using AVG secure browser to log into the OJS backend, and with that, I stopped having the access problem.
Perhaps you can try the same.
@neuroscirn (Michael)

1 Like

@neuroscirn Thanks a lot for sharing your solution, I will share with the author who had this issue, probably it could help to him.

I hope someone in the PKP team could guide us some idea about what could be affecting the behaviour of the OJS when there are either a firewall or antivirus active in the user’s machine.

Hi all,

It’s impossible to answer “how does OJS behave when there’s a firewall or antivirus active on the user’s machine” in general, because that software can do whatever it wants and different packages behave differently. But in general terms, OJS is just like any other web application and doesn’t have any special requirements of the connection between client and server.

Speaking in general, firewalls and anti-virus programs contain sets of rules that are used to detect malicious content. Sometimes those rules are overly general and result in “false positives”, i.e. a normal request gets flagged as malicious and is prevented from being communicated. We’ve seen examples of this on server-side firewall software; see e.g. this thread. In those cases, it’s sometimes possible to investigate the firewall software’s logs more closely to determine what set it off.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

sorry if I intervene and intrude, but I had this problem just yesterday by switching to version 3.3.0.14

I solved it by assigning my journal editor user the various jobs to copy edit, in that way it no longer gives this error.

I hope it helps someone

2 Likes

Hi simgiallorosso, same problem here. That do the trick!

Thankss!!!

Hi
sorry @asmecher, we are not using any firewall or any other virus protection than also we are getting same problem since last 1 month, specifically after updating to latest version

please guide

This is not a final solution (admin should be able to edit any article without any trick), but I confirm this helps as a workaround.

To avoid adding noise here, I open a new post here with a very similar issue.