Error Upgrading from OJS 3.1.1.4 to 3.1.2

Hello - I have followed all the instructions to get to the point where I have to upgrade the database using ojs/index.php/index/install. At this point, I get these errors on the install page. What do I do? I cannot proceed with the upgrade! I am running Php 7.

Warning : Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 118

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:118) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 836

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:118) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 837

Can anyone help with this issue? The install page is blank and we are at an impasse.

I would expect to see another error message, either a PHP Error or PHP Fatal. Do you perhaps see one of these messages in the PHP error log, if not on the page itself?

Here is the error log. Please see the Fatal Error with Smarty and kindly advise.

[03-Apr-2019 08:18:56 America/Los_Angeles] PHP Warning:  Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 118
[03-Apr-2019 08:18:56 America/Los_Angeles] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:118) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 836
[03-Apr-2019 08:18:56 America/Los_Angeles] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:118) in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 837
[03-Apr-2019 08:18:56 America/Los_Angeles] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mb_split() in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/plugins/shared.mb_str_replace.php:47
Stack trace:
#0 /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/plugins/modifier.replace.php(34): smarty_mb_str_replace('_', '-', 'en_US')
#1 /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/cache/t_compile/13376d7934b5f251160733e5e3c8b2ff6a1e1f24^652202841b9a358b5663534995b87eb1fcc7545d_0.core.commonheader.tpl.php(29): smarty_modifier_replace('en_US', '_', '-')
#2 /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_template_resource_base.php(123): content_5ca02179d23940_10097313(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#3 /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_template_compiled.php(114): Smarty_Template_Resource_Base->getRenderedTemplateCode(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#4 /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/ in /home/aaaior5/public_html/ojslatest/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/plugins/shared.mb_str_replace.php on line 47

You will need to enable multibyte string support for PHP. In you are managing your own dedicated server, this would be done by a command like yum install php-mbstring or similar.

If you are hosted, check with your system administrator or hosting provider on adding the “mbstring” module to PHP.