Error upgrading from ojs 2.4.8-3 to 3.2.1-1

Hi

I’m attempting to make an upgrading from ojs 2.4.8-3 to 3.2.1-1, but it stops with an error 500, the php error log shows the following error

Captura de Pantalla 2020-09-01 a la(s) 8.06.33 p. m.

I checked up the database before the upgrade, and the column assoc_type is present in the email_template table

Captura de Pantalla 2020-09-01 a la(s) 7.04.05 p. m.

but after the failed upgrading the column is not present

Captura de Pantalla 2020-09-01 a la(s) 8.22.51 p. m.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @DiegoG,

Is it possible that you ran the upgrade process twice without restoring the backup database? The query you quote is the very first step in the upgrade process, so I don’t think anything else would have come along to remove that column before this step runs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for answering.

I tried many times, making sure to fully restoring de database. The screenshots were taken right before and after the last time.

I’ve been looking at upgrade.xml in dbscripts folder, and it looks, as you said, that the first thing to be done is trying to change those values in assoc_type column.

I’m trying to understand the process, the upgrading routine takes de xml file an do as it says, or is just a guide for readers?, I mean, there is any chance the process takes a different course?

Hi @DiegoG,

The dbscripts/xml/upgrade.xml script is what OJS runs to perform the upgrade. I’m wondering if maybe there’s a third-party plugin that’s causing trouble? Maybe causing the main upgrade process to try to execute twice for some reason?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Well, I just took public folder and config.inc.php, not the plugins folder, to the new location, do you think it would be posible that a third party plugin is causing problems anyway?

On the other hand, it looks like there is some problem with published_articles_stats_migration and counter_monthly_log tables, may you tell me if those tables are related to some plugin, please?

Thank you in advance

Hi @DiegoG,

What is the problem you’re seeing with those tables?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi
There is an old error message about those tables, but it turned out that it was because the copy of the database was incomplete at the beginning and those tables weren’t there, now I’m working with a complete version of the database, and the error message is no more.

Anyway, I made a clean installation of OJS 2.4.8-3 in a local environment, and I notice that those tables are not in the database, not in a clean 3.2 installation either, so I wonder if they are related to a plugin, and maybe, if they are related with the problems I’m facing (is a long shot, I guess).

Hi @DiegoG,

The counter_monthly_log table is obsolete (from a very old OJS2 deployment) and published_articles_stats_migration is created, used and then deleted during an old upgrade process. Does that help?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi
So those tables should not be there, and there is no reason for de upgrade routine to ask for them, right? but, if I delete them, I have an error message asking for them.

Is it possible the problems depends on an incomplete upgrade from 2.7 to 2.4.8-3?, the process was made like a year ago. If that’s the case, there is something in the upgrade routine that is trying to call those tables?

Thanks in advance

Hi @DiegoG,

Do you mean 2.4.7 rather than 2.7? There is no OJS 2.7.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi
my bad, I meant 2.3.7

By now, I can tell there was an incomplete upgrade from 2.3.7 to 2.4.8-3, there is not a copy of the original 2.3.7 database, and the upgrade was made like a year ago.

Do you think there is something we can do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance

Hi @DiegoG,

That’s a tough situation, because you won’t have an easy way of knowing what parts of the upgrade were completed and what parts weren’t. If you think your installation is running fine as 2.4.8-3, but it still reports OJS 2.3.7 (due to an incomplete upgrade), you can force it to believe it’s running 2.4.8-3 by adding a new entry in the versions table. Then the upgrade to 3.2.1-1 will start from the 2.4.8-3 scripts rather than the 2.3.7 scripts.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi
I checked out, and there is already an entry for 2.4.8-3 in the versions table. I really don’t see how the upgrade routine could start with those old tables.

Thank you for your support.

Hi @DiegoG,

Hmm, that doesn’t look like an incomplete upgrade to me. What are you seeing that suggests an incomplete upgrade to 2.4.8-3?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Sorry for the late, late response, I had many things to do before I could continue the upgrading.

What makes me think it was an incomplete upgrade is that I was inform that they added manually the entry in the versions table, same as you suggested before, and I think maybe the database still have some old tables that shouldn’t be there, the list of tables is this:

access_keys
announcement_settings
announcement_type_settings
announcement_types
announcements
article_comments
article_files
article_galley_settings
article_galleys
article_galleys_stats_migration
article_html_galley_images
article_notes
article_search_keyword_list
article_search_object_keywords
article_search_objects
article_settings
article_supp_file_settings
article_supplementary_files
article_xml_galleys
articles
auth_sources
author_settings
authors
books_for_review
books_for_review_authors
books_for_review_settings
captchas
citation_settings
citations
comments
completed_payments
controlled_vocab_entries
controlled_vocab_entry_settings
controlled_vocabs
custom_issue_orders
custom_section_orders
data_object_tombstone_oai_set_objects
data_object_tombstone_settings
data_object_tombstones
dataverse_files
dataverse_studies
edit_assignments
edit_decisions
email_log
email_log_users
email_templates
email_templates_data
email_templates_default
email_templates_default_data
event_log
event_log_settings
external_feed_settings
external_feeds
filter_groups
filter_settings
filters
gifts
group_memberships
group_settings
groups
institutional_subscription_ip
institutional_subscriptions
issue_files
issue_galley_settings
issue_galleys
issue_settings
issues
journal_settings
journals
metadata_description_settings
metadata_descriptions
metrics
mutex
notes
notification_mail_list
notification_settings
notification_settings_old
notification_subscription_settings
notifications
notifications_old
oai_resumption_tokens
object_for_review_assignments
object_for_review_persons
object_for_review_settings
objects_for_review
paypal_transactions
pln_deposit_objects
pln_deposits
plugin_settings
processes
published_articles
queued_payments
referral_settings
referrals
review_assignments
review_form_element_settings
review_form_elements
review_form_responses
review_form_settings
review_forms
review_object_metadata
review_object_metadata_settings
review_object_type_settings
review_object_types
review_rounds
roles
rt_contexts
rt_searches
rt_versions
scheduled_tasks
section_editors
section_settings
sections
sessions
signoffs
site
site_settings
static_page_settings
static_pages
subscription_type_settings
subscription_types
subscriptions
temporary_files
theses
usage_stats_temporary_records
user_interests
user_settings
users
versions

Please let me know if there is something odd in the list of tables. Thank you in advance.

Hi @DiegoG,

I would suggest comparing the list against a list of tables from a brand new OJS 3.2.1-x installation. There are definitely some OJS 2.x tables that I can see there. Unfortunately it’s hard for me to comment on whether they’ll cause problems or not without some information on what happened during the upgrade process, i.e. the specific error message (which would indicate where in the upgrade process the script stopped).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

hi, @asmecher

Thank you again for your help.

Please let start again, the goal is to upgrade to OJS 3.2.1-x, but I suspected there was a problem in the previous upgrade from 2.3.7 to 2.4.8. By now I know that the upgrade was incomplete and they already added the entry in the versions table, so the system “believes” it’s in 2.4.8-3, but the attempt to upgrade crashes.

The list of tables I’m showing you is the list of tables of the 2.4.8-3 database, and it calls my attention that it remains the article_galleys_stats_migration table.
Now, when I tried to upgrade from the (perhaps incomplete) 2.4.8-3 version to 3.2.0-2, there was an error related to published_articles_stats_migration table, and, well, you can see that table is missing.

I know I was not very clear at the beginning, sorry for that, I’m gonna try to replicate the process so I can show you the error message it shows related to published_articles_stats_migration table.

Thank you

Hi @DiegoG,

The published_articles_stats_migration table should be created and then removed during the upgrade process. You can safely remove it from your system before running the upgrade. However, there may well be other problems related to the failed upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher