Error in OCS Submit form

Dear community,
I’m facing a new problem with OCS. It’s the last version (you didn’t release a new one the past 2 months right) and I installed several locales and the default is Portuguese.

When someone tries to submit abstracts to the conference using the form in any other language that is not Portuguse, the system never lets anybody to go finish step 2, beucase it’s not recognizing any text typed in title and abstracts field, always returning this error message:

Errors occurred processing this form:

Please enter the title of your paper. (Português)
Please enter an abstract for your submission. (Português)

It works like a charm when the form is Portuguese because I tried after knowing this bug, so it is something with the locales and not with the submission system iself - it works!

Any tips for making it work in any language I have installed?

You may try for yourself and test at http://estudosmayas.net, just let the director know it’s a test subimssion ok?

You can finish step two (and all the other steps) when form is PORTUGUESE, but you can’t never finish the same step two if the form is in any other language (it seems to apply to step 2 and only).

Best regards from Brazil,
Thiago

Hi @Thiago,

If your primary language is Portuguese, OCS will always need the required fields (e.g. submission titles) to be entered in that language, with other languages available but never required. That’s so that OCS knows it can at least provide a list of submissions etc. in the conference’s primary language.

We’ve refined this requirement a little in OJS and OMP by allowing the manager to permit submissions in other languages, but that code hasn’t made its way into OCS yet. (It will when we get the chance to reboot OCS – see The Future Of OCS on our blog.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks!

I support PKP for several years and have been customizing some server files.

I hope I can help translating also in a near future.

Any date for OCS 3 release?

And, most important for now: any tips on how making forms in other language “understand” these fields as if they were in “Portuguese”?

Best regards,
Thiago

Hi @Thiago,

The easiest way to do this would be to disable the English language under “Forms”. This would simply allow users to enter in whatever language they chose, but it has the major disadvantage of mixing data in your database in both languages. If you’re interested in something more ideal than that, it may take quite a bit of development, but you could start by comparing the related code OCS with the related code in OJS 2.x.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks, @asmecher Yeah, but… There are several other languages… Disabling English isn’t enough as it repeats the error for every language that not Portuguese. And disabling everything will make it difficult for foreigns, so it’s not the easiest way for us.

I was hoping for a simple hack that made that field be always recognized as “Portuguese”… Any tips? It’s not the ideal for sure, but comparing codes and developing won’t be a solution now, as the Conference schedule is going on right now.

Best regards

Ok! I disabled all languages and observed that people can still see the user-side form in any language they want.

I was confused and thought “forms” was for that also, i.e. translating the user-side. As it seems to work even if I disable “forms” under adm’s “languages”, it is all ok for me. Hope it is better explained in the next version, because I thought wrong from the start that you would have to know how to read in Portuguese in order to fill the forms if I disabled the other langs “Forms”.

So it seems good like that, thanks!

PS: any ETA for OCS3??? We’ll probably start using it this year!

Abraços do Brasil

Hi @Thiago,

Glad to hear you’ve got a work-around.

OCS 3.x will definitely not be released this year – we haven’t begun development yet, and forking out a new application is a major piece of work. When we have a more concrete timeline we’ll make an announcement on the blog.

Regards,
Alec Smecher