Email settings question and time stamp

OJS: 3.1.2.4

Good Afternoon

Question 1

I have a query in regards to the email settings in the config.inc.php file
according to my line of thought in order for emails to be sent out the “smtp settings should be on” and not off.
though when i switch it on , emails fail and error message pops up.
but when it is off or commented out, most emails go through with the following settings.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Email Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[email]

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
;smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
;smtp_server = mail.xxx
smtp_server = smtp.xxx
smtp_port = xxx
smtp_auth = STARTTLS
;smtp_port = 25

; Enable SMTP authentication
; Supported mechanisms: PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5
; smtp_auth = PLAIN
; smtp_username = username
; smtp_password = password

;smtp_username =
;smtp_password =

; Allow envelope sender to be specified
; (may not be possible with some server configurations)
allow_envelope_sender = On

Question 2

I wanted to know if i am missing something ? or if there is another place that email settings need to be setup.

also when a email is sent from the " Review Discussions" should the user get a pop up saying the email was sent successfully, as when there is a issue or a change usually get a pop up box on the top right hand side.

Question 3

The time and date on the user interface is off by a couple hours (GUI)
I have checked the date and time on the linux server seems to be correct as well as in the config.inc.php

[i18n]

; Default locale
locale = en_ZA

any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi @sarfaraz,

Just an FYI to say that OJS 3.1 is no longer supported by PKP. I would recommend upgrading if you can as there have been more improvements around email in later versions.

I’d recommend that you check out our administrators’ guide, particularly the section concerning email: Email

It may address many of the questions you have listed here. If you still have questions after reading the documentation, please post them here and the broader community may be able to assist.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team