Email configuration guidelnes

Hello,
can anyone help me to find the best documentation on configuration and revising emails in Workflow/email/templates, please?
I am in the process of polishing our emails and I am having troubles in understanding where each email can be available for different roles.
Thank you!
Lucia

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed in the past…

Hi @lsteele,

A list of the prepared emails, along with other pertinent documentation related to emails can be found here: Learning Open Journal Systems 3.3 - Workflow Settings - but perhaps that’s not exactly what you had in mind?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,
what is presented in the tutorial is quite simple and I have no problem with it. What I would like to understand better is how to make sure an editor will see the emails pertinent to his role, but also why some emails come up at different stages where they should not. I try and build some examples to share.

editor notify link

here is a list of email which pops up when I to go notify editor in a submission not yet accepted. this is visible to the Editor and it is confusing to access email like Galleys final delivery or others.

typesetter notify link

In this example you see the emails available if you click on notify typesetter in a manuscript in production. Why should there be an email for editor assignment for a typesetter? also, why are there two blank email template and how can I find them to remove them?

As you see I would like to improve the correspondence available to various roles: I found not instructions or guidelines on how to achieve this. If you can be of help, it would be wonderful! Thanks,
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

Thanks for clarifying and explaining further. I don’t know that such documentation exists currently . I do know, however, that there is work underway to refactor emails for OJS 3.4: Refactor email templates to better support discovery, reuse and documentation · Issue #5716 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub - this is intended to (maybe?) address some of the issues associated with the large volume of emails in OJS, so email could end up looking a fair bit different (and hopefully better) in future versions of OJS.

I wonder if those blank emails are custom emails? What version are you working from? I’ll see if I can figure out how to best search them.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Richard, is really good that you are willing to help…:slight_smile:
we have migrated to 3.3.0.7 last summer and noticed many improvements. It is a pity that also some good features have however disappeared. For example the html code, which enabled me to easily copy formatted emails across publications. I think now it is a bit more complex.
If there is a way to polish up correspondence, I think it would make for an improved user experience, so any suggestions on your part is welcome and if there is a way to find those missing custom emails, I shall certainly follow up.
Kind regards,
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

I tested this out, and I don’t think it is custom email templates, because those appear to require mandatory subject lines. However, I did discuss with one of my colleagues, who suggested that “from my experience it happens when your email templates tables are wrong (usually after an upgrade).Make a copy of your custom templates, reset the templates for any lang affected, reload the templates and try again.”

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like