Editor confirming Section Editors choice?

If a Section Editor marks a Submission as “Accepted Submission”, it shows up as “In Editing” for the Author - i also noticed, that it also shows “In Editing” when “Declined Submission”, is selected is this intentional? (OJS 2.4.6.0)
What we would like to have in our workflow is a way for the Section Editor to mark a Submission as accepted but the Author should not be notified by this. Only if the Editor marks it as accepted the Author should be notified. Also if the Section Editor writes an email to the Author this email should be first transferred to the Editor which should be able to add comments (and maybe alter the Decision) and only then it should be sent to the Author. Is this somehow possible?

Hi @frajo,

It sounds like you’d like a workflow where the Section Editor passes a recommendation along to the Editor, but the Editor actually records the decision. That’s not implemented in OJS 2.x without some hacking, though it will be possible in OJS 3.0 when that’s released. Currently (in OjS 2.x) a recorded decision is a decision, regardless of whether it was recorded by a Section Editor or an Editor.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thanks for the reply! Will have to find a solution outside OJS for this workflow then, or would it be difficult to patch OJS 2.4.6/2.4.7 to support this? Can you pinpoint the necessary commits?

Thanks and best regards,
Frajo

Hi @frajo,

The easiest way to do this, code-wise, would be to introduce links that open email templates from the Section Editor back to the Editor recommending a particular decision. They would use these rather than the “record a decision” drop-down. The Editor would receive the recommendation and record the final decision. The emails would be captured in the editorial history. I can’t make this modification for you, but if you can confirm that you’ve got HTML/PHP expertise on hand, I can suggest where to start.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team