Editing Navbar items, "hiding" html link in table of contents

Dear PKP team:

I’d like to edit the title “current” to be “current issue” and I’ve looked to modify the templates

templates/common/navbar.tpl

However had some difficulty here. I can delete pages from this template, but haven’t been able to successfully change the name of one of the navbar items. Could you help direct me to how to do this?

I have a second question, which is we’d like to publish two html files for our upcoming issue, but have one linked to the other, so only the first file should be visible on the table of contents of the issue. Is there a way to “hide” one of the the html galleys from the table of ontents, but have the url successfully generated so that we can have it link from our first page?

Thanks for your help.

Monika
www.catalystjournal.org

I have one more question. Under the category “the Look” I added two navigation bar items “news in focus” “lab notes” however when they populated, each was flanked by ## on either side (e.g. ##Lab Notes##). What do you think is going on here? This is what was happening when I tried to change the name of “current” to “current issue” in templates/common/navbar.tpl. I would modify the "translate key=“navigation.current” to “navigation.current issue” but instead of “current issue” showing up, the whole line would be at top with two ## on either side.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Monika

Hi @msengulj,

To make changes to wording, you’ll need to find and edit the locale files, where text in specific languages is coded. For the “Current” label on the navigation bar, the locale key – which you’ve found – is navigation.current; the English text for that locale key is in locale/en_US/locale.xml.

For the two HTML files, what is the role of these files – is one e.g. page one and another page two? Or is one the actual article and the other some supplementary content?

The ##locale.key.formatting## you’ve noted when creating a new navigation bar item is showing because you’ve indicated when creating it that the name should be a locale key, which would then need to be added to one of the locale files (like the aforementioned locale/en_US/locale.xml file). If you don’t want to create the new navigation bar item in a way that presents differently in different languages, there should be a checkbox you can use to indicate that it’s literal text, not a locale key.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

3 Likes

Hi @asmecher

Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific about which folder the locale key is located. I did a search and found many different .xml files that had the ending locale/en_US/locale and none that I browsed seemed to include a dictionary of sorts for connecting locale keys with English text. Thank you so much. I was able to solve my other problem related to the ## thanks to your help.

As for the html files, the first is a html page that is an embedded video - the video is the “main” article. The second html file is a transcript/notes to the video. It is not intended to be the main text but a supplementary document for readers to view, almost like a sidebar. I played with the idea of creating a seperate ‘static page’ for the notes to the video to hyperlink that way, but since we’ve ushered the text through and created a beautiful galley for it following our design specs, it would be better to have it uploaded as a galley and then downplay it in the table of contents. Thanks so much.

Monika

Hi @msengulj,

The file you’re looking for is just locale/en_US/locale.xml in the installation directory you’ve got OJS installed to. You’re looking for this line:

I’d suggest uploading the transcript as a Supplementary File, rather than as a Galley; on the submission’s Editing page you should be able to choose Supplementary File before uploading. Then you’ll see that file listed under the Reading Tools as supplementary content (this would typically be things like transcripts, appendices, glossaries, etc). You could then put a link to that in your main HTML if you like.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

2 Likes

Dear Alec, thanks this was incredibly helpful. I was able to make changes in minutes – when I had been spending much longer trying. I also think the Supplementary File option will work well.

I had one more question if you might have a moment. I want to set some guides for the journal’s page ‘look’ such as the width of the navigation bar, and the width and spacing in the font. Is the CSS page I upload to “the Look” section the best place to do both of these changes, or is there somewhere else I should change the navigation bar width?

Thank you
Monika

Hi @msengulj,

Yes, the CSS upload on Journal Setup step 5 is the best place. If you’re running a multi-journal installation, you may also need to upload it to the Site Settings area under Site Administration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Great, thanks for your help Alec.

Dear PKP Team

Maybe i have similar problems like Ms. @msengulj , when i migrating ojs files from my laptop (ubuntu) to server (windows servers)
it was suddenly showing up a new nav bar on my ojs, initially ##navigation.categories## , somehow i didn’t create or add it before,
how i delete this one?

Thanks for your help

Hi @rindoherdianto,

That looks like Turkish to me – I suspect you’re seeing ##text.like.this## because a specific piece of the Turkish translation is missing. We try to update translations with each release but sometimes the translator isn’t available.

That feature (“Categories”) can be enabled or disabled on the “Categories” area in Site Administration.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

3 Likes