DOI for Datacite in OJS 2.4.8: Unregistered articles gives Select option but no confirmation

Hello,

I’m working with a journal to mint DOI in OJS 2.4.8. I set up Datacite registration and selected “unregistered articles listing”. This took me to a list of all the unregistered items preselected but no button to confirm that I wanted to register DOI for all these items. When I went back to each issue page I could see DOI were present but navigating back to the list of “unregistered articles listing” all the original titles were still there. It doesn’t seem to have updated–it looks exactly the same. Am I missing a step? Can anyone clarify or provide screenshots for what this is supposed to look like?

With gratitude for your response,

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

When you go to “Select unregistered Issues, Articles and Galleys” what buttons do you see at the end of the listing? Is there no button there?
Did you configure the DataCite plugin?
I think there should always be the button “Export” and “Select All”, and if you entered your DataCite credentials in the configuration form, you will also see the button “Register”.

Best,
Bozana

Thanks very much for your response, Bozana. DOI plugin settings are configured. Datacite registration is complete. I assumed that I wouldn’t even be able to get to unregistered issues–is this correct?

When I click “unregistered articles listing” I see a very long list of all the issues, articles, galleys all with the checkboxes enabled, but nowhere on this page is there a button to confirm that I want to register these items. However, if I click on one of the issues listed, I see a DOI. (Unfortunately it takes a while to validate so I can’t test that the link has resolved). What should I be seeing?

Many thanks for your help.

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

How did you register the DOIs?

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi Bozana!

We have a UBC account so I used those credentials in the Datacite/Export/Plugin settings.

Best,

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

I’ve just tested it in my local installation: if an article is registered successfully it will not appear any more in the “unregistered” list. Maybe something went wrong, so that OJS did not get the response from the DataCite server that a DOI is successfully registered and that’s why OJS does not know it.

Also, on the “unregistered” page, where all the articles/objects are listed, there should be the “Register” button at the bottom of the page.

Best,
Bozana

Thanks very much for confirming what it should look like, Bozana, this is a big help. We’ve established that no DOI from our OJS were registered via Datacite and we’ve confirmed that our config settings and credentials are correct. Is there anything else you can think of that might be preventing our OJS from connecting to Datacite? Do you know if there are log files that we could access that would at least confirm whether anything was being sent out? We are all stumped here as to how to move forward.

Many thanks in advance,

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

Could you please try to register just one article DOI from within OJS again, using the “Register” button in the DataCite export/registration plugin, and then tell me what result do you get? – You will get a notification message in the right upper corner, so try to copy the information from there and then let me know.
Maybe we will have better idea what is going on, when we see that result message…

Best,
Bozana

Hi Bozana,

Thank you so much for following up. The challenge is that there is no Register button. This was the nature of my initial post. When I go to “Select unregistered issues” there is a long list of selected objects but no De/select all option and no Register option. I also tried to manually deselect a few dozen items and refresh but it just regenerated the same page of hundreds of objects. When I click on one of the issues, there is a DOI listed but when I click on the DOI it doesn’t resolve.

Any other suggestions? I am very grateful for your help.

Best,

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

Do you see the “Register” button when you go to Import/Export Data > DataCite Export/Registration Plugin > Export Articles ?
Also, could you tell me what are the numbers in your Setup 5 (The Look) > 5.8 Lists > Items per page and Page links ?

Best,
Bozana

Hi Bozana,

No, there is no Register button at any step. The path I take is this Home > User > Journal Manager > Import/Export Data > DataCite Export/Registration Plugin > Select unregistered Issues, Articles and Galleys. When I get to this screen there is a long list of items pre-selected. No where is there a button or any way to confirm the selection. The other oddity is that the first three dozen items don’t display the title and author metadata. unregistered_issues

The SetUp is set to 0.

This journal only uses OJS for review not for publishing.

Thank you!

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

Could you enter “25” for “Items per page” and “10” for “Page links” in Setup 5?
And then, could you go to the DataCite Export/Registration > Export articles (not to Export all unregistered issues, articles and galleys)?

Best,
Bozana

Thanks very much, Bozana! I followed your instructions and received a notification that the Registration was successful. I’ll need about a week to see if the DOI resolve. If you have no objections, I’d like to keep this thread active until I can confirm it worked.

TIA,

Tara

Hi Bozana,

I checked back in and the DOI do not resolve despite my having received a notification that registration was successful. Datacite has confirmed the requests for DOI were never received. Any idea of where we might go from here?

TIA,

Tara

Hi @tkstephe

Hmmmm… That is really strange… :thinking:

How many DOIs have you tried to register? Have the status for those DOIs in OJS changed to “Registered”? Did you maybe use the “test” option in the DataCite plugin settings?

Hmmm… I am confused…

Best,
Bozana

Hi again,

I did Select All for 2,262 objects and received the Registration complete notification. However, I checked today and only the first 25 indicate REGISTER|EXPORT rather than UPDATE|EXPORT. I checked and rechecked the credentials. Today I tried to register just one article. I’ll see whether that is successful. We are quite stumped here as well.

Hi @tkstephe

2262 objects are too much to register at once – it may also lead to the server time out.
Thus, yes, please try first if the registration works for one article and then, if ok, register only a small amount of objects at once…

Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana

Good news! We were able to successfully register 25 DOI. We’ve since upgraded to 3.1.1.2 so I’m going to run some tests there with the Assign DOI function to determine whether we can use this feature, or whether I have to try and register all 2,000+ items in batches of 25 as I was doing in 2.4.8. If you have any advice in that regard, I would be very grateful. Otherwise I would consider this resolved. Thank you so very very much for your help and responsiveness. Interest in DOI for OJS is growing at UBC!

Best,

Tara