Displaying english strings instead of language keys

Hello,

there is one thing that bothers me since 2.x. Why does OJS display language keys when a string isn’t translated instead of displaying an english fallback? Considering that english files are always complete (as it’s the main language OJS is being developed in) that would make the system more user-friendly, especially in case of updates or missing translations.

Displaying an original language fallback if no translation is available seems like a standard in software development.

Hi @szmigieldesign,

There’s a plugin that does this, but I can’t find it at a glance – I believe @mtub knows more?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Just for the record:

Shouldn’t this be in core as default behaviour?

I agree, displaying english strings should be the default,

this problem occurs again in OJS 3.1.2, for the french language.

+1 for put it as default

Hello,

any ideas if this functionality will be merged with core or the plugin updated for OJS3?

I’d vote for a better way to manage and deploy translations aswell. Ideally - with a system similar to WordPress (both translating in third-party interface and updates).

Hi @szmigieldesign,

See this discussion: Replace bespoke translation toolset with more standards-based options · Issue #4779 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Strings can be locally customized but such local customizations are for the whole site only. Strings can’t be customized per course or per theme.

Shouldnt it?