Deleting user OJS 3.1.0-1

I noticed that when administrator delete user in the list of user that user is still in database. I guess that is the case because we do not want delete user from the list of users/contributors to articles.
But, in the case that user after being deleted wants to register again the system will prompt that user that there is already user with that username/mail etc. although the user is not present in the list of users. However, the user information is present in database which is relevant for OJS while checking possible username/email conflicts during the registration process.

Well, I understand why user information is preserved in database. But, there should be some mechanism which will manage the scenario in which the deleted user want to be registered again.

Thanks

here is the explanation: Bug or feature? OMP 1.2.0.0

although some things you mentioned are important to consider them

Yes, I understand reasoning behind which quite reasonable. But, there should be mechanism how to handle scenario I described.

Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

Have you used the “merge users” tool for this?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I have read already option about "merge users’ tool. But, I experienced one scenario:
User informed editorial board that he will be for a long time in other field involved and that his user account may be deleted. User account had e-mail of his lab. After some time he informed editorial board to join them again and they accepted. When he wanted to register again after assuming that his account was deleted which was true he has got message that there is already user with that user name and e-mail address.

Possible solutions:

1. If there are two or more identical fields such as username, e-mail, OJS may ask user: Have you been previously registered in this system? If yes, OJS merge new user with existing in database. If not OJS ask new user to contact editorial board and he can find contacts in About/Contact page.
  2. If editorial board have situation that someone will not be for some time there, editor or other authorized role can suspend/freeze/disable account so account cannot be used until the account is returned back to be alive so it is not suspended/frozen/disabled any more. (this is I think possible now.)
  3. If we delete account with no submissions, important editorial activities etc. (Let say, user registered did not confirm e-mail link) and after some time want to be registered the user will receive again message that there is username with that e-mail address, username although account registration was not completed. So, accounts which were not registered completely should be fully deleted by the system and user can register again without intervention by administrator etc.
  4. Account was passive for 1 year or so and it can be automatically disabled but not deleted. When user tries to login there will be message: Since your account was passive more than 1 year or so… please contact technical support you can find in About/Contact page in order to activate your account…

Maybe my proposed solutions can be helpful for management of various scenarios that can happen.

Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

In the case you describe, it sounds like the user was “removed” from the journal (i.e. all roles revoked), but not actually “deleted” as her user entry would have been if the editor had used the “Merge Users” feature. If the accounts had been merged, the user would be able to re-register using her old email and/or username, without receiving a notification that they were already in use.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team