DB Errors after upgrade from OJS 3.1.0.1 to OJS 3.1.1.0

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded the OJS to 3.1.1.0 and I am no longer able to login to the admin page. The published papers were also not accessible. Following were the errors in the error_log file:

DB Error: Unknown column ‘gossip’ in ‘field list’ ← When I try to log in
DB Error: Unknown column ‘submission_id’ in ‘where clause’ ← When I try to view current paper.

Please help guys. I am panicking here…
Cheers~

Hi @neuroscirn,
Did you run the database upgrade (CLI or web-based)?

Hi @anupent

I upgraded the OJS via the softaculous site in the cpanel. I realised that the OJS version in the softaulous is 3.1.1.0 but in the OJS panel itself is still 3.1.0.1. I managed to login in by refreshing the browser. The Submission dashboard seems to be empty when I clicked on it.

Can you go to administrator tab and delete “data” and “cache”. Then you will get articles in submission panel.

Some similar discussion is in this thread:

best regards,

1 Like

Hi @anupent,

This is not solving the problem. I am still seeing the DB error messages. I realized that the submission tab is missing if I log in as an author. As an admin, the submission tab is just empty. Nothing is there.

Do I need to do anything to the existing database after the upgrade?

I hope you have a full backup of your previous installation.

Now, I suggest you run an upgrade (web based or via SSH) and see what happens.

1 Like

Hi @anupent

Referring to your old post [Solved] DB Error: Unknown column 'gossip' in 'field list' [OJS master] here, am I having the same issue like you did?

This was in my development environment where I tried to use Git to maintain my site. I simply gave up.

Can you run upgrade now and see what happens?

1 Like

Sorry @anupent

Did you refer to upgrade the OJS 3.1.0.1 from the admin page? How do I do that?

I did the upgrade via softaculous in cpanel.

Sorry that I am really novice in the matter.

you login to your server and open config.inc.php file.
Then you modify installed = on to installed =off
Then you open your journal’s homepage in your browser. Follow whatever it says and click “upgrade”. See whether you get a message “successfully upgraded to ojs 3.1.1”

Once the upgrade is done, do not forget to make installed = on again.

4 Likes

Hi @anupent

I did the upgrade and YES the published paper is back online!!! Yeah!

However, the submission tab is still empty. Log in as author did not have any operation could be done except editing the profile.

now login as admin,
go to administrator page and clear “data” and “template cache”.
Also remove cache from your browser.

3 Likes

IT IS ALL SOLVED!!! TQVM @anupent . You made and saved my day!!!

Glad I could help you.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, but am still stuck.

I have cleared templates, data cahce and browser cache, but I still get submission_id not found errors

Any help?

Stephen

Hi @ssciberras,

Did you recently run an upgrade? Can you describe your situation a little more fully?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I did an upgrade from 3.1.0-1 to 3.1.1, first bydecompressing the tar file, then by moving the my modified files over.

I ran the tool upgrade, and cleared caches.

Still showed that I needed to upgrade, and only the contents list would work - clicking on the article link showed an error of submission_id not found.

I will try again with a new installation, leaving our my modifications.

Stephen

Hi @ssciberras,

It sounds like the upgrade didn’t complete successfully. Did you see any error message during the process?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No not really

Stephen

Hi @ssciberras,

Hmm, I suspect something happened during the upgrade. I would suggest restoring from backup and trying it again – you should definitely see a “success” message at the end of the upgrade process. If the process apparently stops, but you don’t see the “success” message, then it very likely didn’t finish.

Regards,
Alec Smecher