Customize email template with last name in greeting, v3.1.1

Hi, I did this in the last version (2.4) where I altered the email greetings to be the last name:
Dear Professor {$lastName}:
instead of the default. I would like to do this again for the current version, but not sure what files and where they are since this version is so different than the previous. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @sheardln,

You can find the email templates OJS 3 under Workflow Settings > Emails.

Best,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

But that doesn’t let me add last name as the address. In 2.4 I had to create the variable of last name and then I could add it to the email. I need to know where to create that variable. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi @sheardln,

Thanks for the further information, I have a better understanding of what you want to do now. I believe you will find the information on how to create a new email variable in this post: Creating tags for mail templates OJS 3.0.2.0

Best,
Amanda Stevens

We are getting closer, but the files named in the linked ticket do not exist in 3.1.1. Do you happen to know their location in my version? Are you also saying I would have to customize this on every email we want to use? In 2.4 I was able to customize one location to create the variable and then add the variable to each email. That seems like a much simpler way…

Hi @sheardln,

Those files still exist in OJS 3.1.1 and are in the same location. You can find them in the 3.1.1 branch:

I believe you have to add the new variables to these files so that they can be made available to add to the email templates and to be used when certain actions are carried out. Then you can add the variables to the corresponding email templates.

Best,
Amanda Stevens