Cover Image and DOI

Hello,
I am trying to add a cover image in the future issue for our first issue of the journal. I have a JPEG, but it loads as a small grey icon and not the cover of the journal. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Also, does anyone have experience using the DOI plugin? I input our first issue data by hand, but wanted to see the experiences using the plugin on OJS as an alternative.
Thanks!

Hi @ClinAT,

I presume you’re asking about OJS – what version are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Yes, OJS. Sorry about that. New to the forum. We are using OJS 3.1.1.0.

Thanks!

Hi @ClinAT,

Not a problem – next time it might be best to post each question separately. I’ll tag @bozana to answer the DOI question.

For the cover image, what does the image URL look like on the front end (i.e. where the grey icon is shown)? (You can obscure your domain name if you like.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

issue
Here is the screenshot of the issue.

The image URL is: http://clinat.indstate.edu/public/journals/1/cover_issue_2_en_US.jpg showing a 404 error.

Thanks!

Hi @ClinAT,

Hmm, the URL looks fine but evidently the file isn’t there. Just to double-check, did you both upload the file and save the settings form afterwards? Any trouble when you uploaded the file?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No issues with upload. It says it is there on the cover image upload area, but does not appear as a preview.

Hi @ClinAT

Can you tell me if and how did you use the DOIs till now, or are you just starting?

I would recommend using the DOI plugin for DOI assignment – this way the system will be aware/know about the DOIs. Then you can also use the DOI export/registration plugins (Crossref, DataCite or mEDRA), that can help/reduce you manual work a lot.
If you did not use DOIs earlier, you would need to chose a registration agency, and contact them, to get the credentials and DOI prefix.

If you explain me a little bit more about your wishes, requirements, or use cases till now, I can maybe tell more…

Concerning the issue cover page: do you see the cover when you go to issues > future issues > edit issue > issue data ?
It seems like you have this image: http://clinat.indstate.edu/public/journals/1/cover_issue_1_en_US.jpg, which would fit to the first issue i.e. with the issue ID = 1 – and it seems like you have only that one issue, right? Thus I am wondering why the preview contains that wrong cover image name. Would it be possible for you to take a look in the database table issue_settings and tell me what do you see there for all existing rows with the setting_name = coverImage?

Best,
Bozana

Ah, maybe one more thing regarding cover image: what theme do you use? – s. maybe this thread too: Cover image of new issue wont appear - #12 by NateWr

Hello,

We are using the default theme.
The link you provided for issue 1 is the old cover image (wrong logos) and cannot be used. When i tried uploading the new cover image, it will not appear.

Thanks!

On settings_name = coverimage is displayed as cover_issue_2_en_US.jpg

Hi @ClinAT,

The number in the cover image name is the issue ID. Thus, you have an issue with ID = 2.
What exactly do you see when you go to issues > future issues > edit issue #2 > issue data ? Do you see that image there?
Apparently that cover image was not uploaded correctly/successfully. Maybe to double check your access permissions on your folder public/ – the web user/group has to be able to write there…

Best,
Bozana