Citation markup assistant references

I noticed that authors get in their metadata submission part the field for entering references after enabling citation markup assistant.
I think that those two features at the first look similar should not be conditioned mutually.
The reference field should be enabled if not by default then by editor/journal manager. The citation markup assistant may be useful tool but probably limited due to limited access on many resources on different languages which may discourage some Journal managers and editors to enable it, thus missing fields for references.
I think that we should stick to the principle that simpler tool should not be conditioned by more complex tool that is in addition condition by other protocols, parameters, memberships etc.
Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

The Citation Assistant is not currently being maintained and it won’t be present in OJS 3.0, due for release this summer. Instead we’re focusing on our automatic XML conversion workflow, which includes connecting an external conversion tool that’ll help convert source documents into JATS XML, including references. Hopefully that will simplify things and also add better functionality.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Ok. That is great.
Thanks
veki