Changing the list of Countries displaying on registration

OJS 3.2.0.2

I thought I’d be able to solve this myself but I couldn’t. Is there any ‘easy’ way to change the list of countries displayed on registration?

In older topics I found a reference to countries.xml which however doesn’t seem to be there anymore. I thought editing regions.php would do the trick but it didn’t.

Reason I ask is: since they’re not in alphabetical order it’s hard to find some of them. I don’t think anybody would look for Switzerland under C. Also I’d only need like 6 countries and maybe ‘Other’.

Hi @alaskadream,

Starting with OJS/OMP 3.2.0 we moved from our own (poorly maintained) country list to one more reliably maintained by a 3rd party. There’s some discussion of this on a question about Taiwan’s entry.

The sorting issue is a bug – thanks for reporting. There are a couple of patches there to resolve it, and the fix will be included in the next release.

The patches will show you the places where the list is built, so if you want to limit your options to just a subset or change the ordering, those would be the places you’d need to do it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you Alec, it worked.

Since it’s kind of a minor change but having countries listed alphabetically makes the life of many users much easier and 3.2.0-2 wasn’t released that long ago, I think it would be nice if you could implement the change in 3.2.0-2 so all those who haven’t upgraded yet would have the error fixed when upgrading.

Hi @alaskadream,

That change will be released in OJS 3.2.0-3, probably later this week.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team