Change wording of reviewer recommendations

Hi @asmecher,
Ok. Thanks for your reply
Regards,
Juan

I’m a little confused at what needs to be done here. We have version 3.2.0.2.

This is what I am trying to display in the drop-down:

• Accept
  • Accept with Minor Revisions
  • Revise and Resubmit
  • Reject

I installed the custom locale plugin. Not sure what needs to be done after that. Clicked on the Documentation link in the plugin, doesn’t appear to be anything there.

FTP’d the directory locale/en_US, there is no xml file there, just .do files.

In v3 do I need to amend the lib/pkp/classes/submission/reviewAssignment/ReviewAssignment.inc.php file or the locale/en_US xml file?

What do I need to enter in there in order to get the above choices in that file?

At the moment I don’t really understand how to upgrade, I see contradictory information. But when I do I assume either or both of the above files will need to be backed up/re-uploaded when deleting everything but the public/config file then re-uploading folder/files of the new version?

Thanks so much
Steve

Hi @stevendrowe,

The list of reviewer recommendations is established in lib/pkp/classes/submission/reviewAssignment/ReviewAssignment.inc.php, and the language-specific text for each of the locale keys listed there is in the appropriate locale file. For example, the locale key reviewer.article.decision.accept maps to “Accept Submission” in English, which is defined in locale/en_US/locale.po for OJS/OMP 3.2.x and above, or locale/en_US/locale.xml for OJS/OMP 3.1.x and below. If you modify these, you’ll need to re-apply the changes when you upgrade your OJS code to a new version.

The Custom Locale Plugin offers an alternative to modifying the files on your server, by allowing you to set journal-by-journal overrides for locale key translations. If you use that, you won’t need to modify files on your server, and thus won’t need to maintain the modifications on upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I am glad to see that “Customizable Reviewer Recommendations” (wording and number of recommendations) is on the developer’s agenda. This is indeed a request we have from most if not all of our editors. In my scientific field “minor revision” and “major revision” is so common that other recommendations are quite confusing for many.

The same is true for the editorial decisions and I see that there is an issue tracker item for this too at
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/6074. I understand that is is much more complicated to make editor decisions customizable (at least with regard to the number of different decisions), as there are multiple programmatic dependencies. Easy configuration/customisation of labels might be a first step.

Thanks for all your work!

Armin

1 Like

I wanted to let those in this thread know that our documentation group recently published a guide on how to use the Custom Locale plugin to change the wording of any field:

https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/translating-guide/en/customize-locale

This doesn’t replace the demand to offer better customization options are part of the core platform and we recognise the community’s interest on this issue. Progress on that can still be tracked here: Customizable Reviewer Recommendations · Issue #1660 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks @NateWr!

Perhaps good to know that the Custom Locale plugin “is only reliably available and operational for OJS/OMP/OPS 3.2.0 and newer.”

1 Like

Thanks you!!!