Challenges with payments / subscription functionality - OJS 3.1.0.1

Hi,

We run OJS version 3.1.0.1. We are experiencing the following pertaining to payments and subscriptions:

1. New subscription and payment e-mail sent to editor of journal instead of subscriptions manager. Configuration looks rights and subscription manager information correct. Subscriber also did not receive e-mail notification.
  2. Payment not registered in “payments” tab - not sure how this information is captured meaning does it require action from the subscriptions manager as we only use manual as opposed to PayPal option?
  3. Even if individual subscribers are activated (set to active), persons still can’t access latest year (we make use of a rolling embargo period process) after being correctly authenticated. Just as a note, IP authentication does work correctly.

Regards,

Hi @wynlib,

1. If other notifications emails are being received, it’s possible the emails to the Subscriptions Manager and Subscriber are being caught in spam filters. Can you check your server’s mail sending log to confirm the messages are being sent?

2. When a manual payment is made, the payment doesn’t automatically go through because there is no way for the system to verify that the payment was received by you. In OJS 2 you had to go to the “Awaiting manual payment” page and manually mark the fees as paid after you receive them. After that the fees would show on the "payments” tab. I’m not sure how exactly this works in OJS 3 as I don’t have subscriptions and payments fully enabled on my test system, but I expect it is something similar.

3. I’m not sure what’s causing the problem based on the information you gave. Can you describe to me how you’ve configured your subscription type and what you’ve entered for the individual subscription?

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for responding. In answer:

1. I will look into the spam filter regarding the issue with the e-mails not being received.
  2. Payments: I do not see the option to mark payments as received. Not sure where to look for this. I am not able to find the “Awaiting manual payment” page.
  3. We use both individual and institutional subscriptions.We have an individual subscription option that allow 12 months access to the resource. The subscription requires users to be validated via login (option ticked). Currently I have two individual subscribers, both with a status listed as being active, with the subscription period correctly stated in terms of the start and end dates. I am willing to provide you with login details (mine) should you wish to see the configuration.

I do hope this information helps.

Regards,

Wynand

Hi @wynlib,

I looked into the manual payments question further. I think that only payments made via Paypal will appear in the Payments tab, whereas you can manage manual payments under the Individual Subscriptions and Institutional Subscriptions tabs. There is a Status field in a subscription record where you can select whether you’re “Awaiting manual payment” or the subscription is “Active.” There should also be an email notification sent to the Subscription Manager when a new manual payment is made.

Regarding question 3, can you provide a screenshot of one of your individual subscription records?

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens

Hi,

Sorry for delay in response. Herewith image as requested:

Hi @wynlib,

Before putting too much time into debugging this, I’d strongly suggest upgrading to the latest release of OJS. There have been numerous fixes related to the subscription code and you may find that your issue is already resolved.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi Alec,

Thank you for your response. I will advise the technical team accordingly.

Regards,

Wynand

Quoting Alec Smecher pkp@forum.pkp.sfu.ca:

Hi @wynlib,

Before putting too much time into debugging this, I’d strongly
suggest upgrading to the latest release of OJS. There have been
numerous fixes related to the subscription code and you may find
that your issue is already resolved.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Visit