Cant we create the enitre submission system like cureus.com?

Cureus is a medical journal. Just have a look at their submission system. You upload everything in order and one you publish it, it will be automatically conerted into html file with xml effect. Also pdf gets made automatically. Cureus.com.
can we do the same here? Its really wonderful.

Hi @varshilmehta,

What you mean by this?: [quote=“varshilmehta, post:1, topic:30895”]
html file with xml effect
[/quote]

OJS already have all those features. You can convert DOCX to JATS XML automatically. And I can assure you, that there aren’t better converters, than can be seen in open source. @axfelix and @kaschioudi are working on a visual JATS XML editor, like those that have top publishing companies.
Lens Viewer mostly ideally converts XML to HTML on clients side. @ajnyga has released EmbedGalley plugin, that do this on server side and displays on article detail page.
And OJS3 editorial manager system is among the best in the worlds. Did you try to send an article to Elsevier or PLoS journals? Their editorial manager is much worse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, just have a look at it. Here the author has to enter everything including the pics in order. Once the editor accepts it, it gets published in the same format. No need to upload word file or convert it into xml. Just have a look. May be it can be a big next step for ojs. I am sure you would love it as well. Much simpler and completely automatic. Even the pdf is self generated. Can we do the same here as well?

Yep. I thought about such option. That’s what PLoS Aperta does also. Although need to say, that our Ukrainian authors (from medical science) certainly wish not to write their articles online. Or it must be as simple and user friendly as Microsoft Word or Google Docs. And these requires a lot of effort to make.
As for PDF - I really like an idea to use LaTeX for scientific articles. And already have done as much automatization as possible for converting JATS to LaTeX. On other hand I have already developed a JATS XML parser in PHP, which soon will be integrated with OJS as a plugin: GitHub - Vitaliy-1/JATSParserPlugin: OJS3 Plugin for parsing JATS XML and displaying it on article detail page

It will produce HTML on server side in OJS native way, through Smarty templates, like all other content.
Also it can be upgraded to produce PDF on the fly or to write all JATS content into the database.

1 Like

As an example of PDF and needed code for creating PDF on the fly: Example 010 : text on multiple columns · TCPDF
All needed meta-data we can get from OJS, and the article body from JATS XML rendered by JATSParser Plugin.