Can't upgrade to 3.0.2

Hi there,
i’m trying to upgrade ojs from 2.4.8 to 3.0.2 but i’m encountering various error that make me stuck on 2.4.8:
First of all i falled in trouble with the database charset, i got my ojs database charset in latin1 so the first step i did was to convert the charset and collation from latin1 to utf8 using iconv and manual altering table, after that i tryed to upgrade the database using cli command (php tools/update.php upgrade) but the upgrade (leaving the thousand PHP Strict Standards Warning) hangs returning this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getCategory() on null …/…/…PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 755

Because i’m also upgrading the mysql server from Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.61 to Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.0.26-MariaDB i also tryed to upgrade ojs using the old mysql server (Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.61) and finally i get:

Successfully upgraded to version 3.0.2.0

But despite the happy ending message the ojs have lost many of it’s functionallity as well as users roles (my user is not admin any more) also exporting the new “succesfully” upgraded database in the more recent mysql server i get the same result.
Looking at the apache2 error log i found many of this message:

ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: Cannot use a scalar value as an array\n In file: /var/www/ojs/classes/journal/JournalSettingsDAO.inc.php\n At line: 83\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: Linux\n PHP Version: 5.6.23-pl0-gentoo\n Apache Version: Apache\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 10.0.26-MariaDB-wsrep,

any help?am i missing something?
thanks in advance

P.S. sorry for my bad english

Hi @abstr4kt,

OJS shouldn’t care what version of MySQL/MariaDB you’re using, as long as you meet its minimum requirements, so I suspect that change is a red herring.

A frequent cause of confusion with OJS upgrades is what happens when an upgrade fails. When an upgrade fails, the database and files directory will be left in an indeterminate state somewhere between OJS 2.x and 3.x, so you’ll need to restore both from backup before trying again. It helps to be systematic if you have to make any manual interventions during the upgrade process, e.g. the iconv step you describe – make sure you do this consistently each time you try an upgrade.

Restore from your backup, run through an upgrade on whatever system you prefer, and post any resulting error messages here; perhaps I can provide some guidance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,
thanks for fast reply me,
i’ve done so many upgrade try and each time i have tryed i have started from restoring the old database.
At the beginning the installed ojs was at 2.4.6, since failing to upgrade to 3.0.2 i tryed first to upgrade from version 2.4.6 to 2.4.8 (of course minor upgrade), included the iconv step, and this worked like a charm so i got 2.4.8 up and running.
This is my start point :
Ojs 2.4.8
DB server version: 10.0.26-MariaDB-wsrep (already converted to utf-8)
PHP Version: 5.6.23-pl0-gentoo

To upgrade i made this step:

1. Uncompress 3.0.2 files
  2. Copy back old config and old public folder
  3. Check file owner and permission
  4. lunch database upgrade
    and as i said the upgrade process end up after thousand of PHP Warnings with this fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getCategory() on null …/…/…PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 755

i can provide any other info as you need
regards

Hi @abstr4kt,

This may be a data error. Try the following query after the upgrade has failed:

SELECT sf.* FROM submission_files sf LEFT JOIN genres g ON (sf.genre_id = g.genre_id) WHERE g.genre_id IS NULL;

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

dear @asmecher
for completion of information i’ll paste here all the output that i get during the upgrade:

#php tools/upgrade.php check

PHP Deprecated: Non-static method VersionCheck::getLatestVersion() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/UpgradeTool.inc.php on line 71
PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method Version::fromString() should not be called statically in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/site/VersionCheck.inc.php on line 115
PHP Deprecated: Non-static method VersionCheck::getCurrentDBVersion() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/UpgradeTool.inc.php on line 164
PHP Deprecated: Non-static method VersionCheck::getCurrentCodeVersion() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/cliTool/UpgradeTool.inc.php on line 165
PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method Version::fromString() should not be called statically in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/site/VersionCheck.inc.php on line 115
Code version: 3.0.2.0
Database version: 2.4.8.2
Latest version: 3.0.2.0
Database version is older than code version
Run “tools/upgrade.php upgrade” to update

# php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getSeq() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getSeq($contextId = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 79
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getBlockContext() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getBlockContext($contextId = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 79
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of DevelopedByBlockPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/blocks/developedBy/DevelopedByBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 79
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of AbntCitationPlugin::fetchCitation() should be compatible with CitationPlugin::fetchCitation($article, $issue, $journal) in /ojs/plugins/citationFormats/abnt/AbntCitationPlugin.inc.php on line 213
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of AbntCitationPlugin::manage() should be compatible with Plugin::manage($args, $request) in /ojs/plugins/citationFormats/abnt/AbntCitationPlugin.inc.php on line 213
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PubIdImportExportPlugin::display() should be compatible with ImportExportPlugin::display($args, $request) in /ojs/plugins/importexport/pubIds/PubIdImportExportPlugin.inc.php on line 433
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC::toXml() should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in /ojs/lib/pkp/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/dc/PKPOAIMetadataFormat_DC.inc.php on line 80
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of OAIMetadataFormat_MARC::toXml() should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/marc/OAIMetadataFormat_MARC.inc.php on line 46
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of OAIMetadataFormat_NLM::toXml() should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/nlm/OAIMetadataFormat_NLM.inc.php on line 277
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of OAIMetadataFormat_MARC21::toXml() should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/marcxml/OAIMetadataFormat_MARC21.inc.php on line 46
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of OAIMetadataFormat_RFC1807::toXml() should be compatible with OAIMetadataFormat::toXml($record, $format = NULL) in /ojs/plugins/oaiMetadataFormats/rfc1807/OAIMetadataFormat_RFC1807.inc.php on line 107
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of PayPalPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm() should be compatible with PKPPaymethodPlugin::displayPaymentSettingsForm(&$params, $smarty) in /ojs/plugins/paymethod/paypal/PayPalPlugin.inc.php on line 18
[pre-install]
[load: upgrade.xml]
PHP Deprecated: Non-static method Version::fromString() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php on line 243
[version: 3.0.2.0]

[code: Installer Installer::syncSeriesAssocType]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_preupdate_usageStatistics.xml (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_preupdate_usageStatistics2.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_preupdate.xml]
PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php on line 122
PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php on line 122
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_adaptTimedViews.xml (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_adaptReferrals.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_adaptBooksForReview.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/remove_timed_views_bots.xml (skipped)]

[code: Installer Installer::migrateCounterPluginUsageStatistics (skipped)]

[code: Installer Installer::migrateTimedViewsUsageStatistics (skipped)]

[code: Installer Installer::migrateDefaultUsageStatistics (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_postUsageStatsMigration.xml (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_postUsageStatsMigration2.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_postCounterMigration.xml (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/2.4.0_postTimedViewsMigration.xml (skipped)]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_preupdate_commentsToEditor.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml]
PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /ojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 267

PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /ojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 267
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/log.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/announcements.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/scheduledTasks.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/temporaryFiles.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/metadata.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/reviews.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/reviewForms.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/controlledVocab.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/submissions.xml]

[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/submissionFiles.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/notes.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/views.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/genres.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/gifts.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/mutex.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/tombstone.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/rolesAndUserGroups.xml]

[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/metrics.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/views.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/libraryFiles.xml]
[schema: dbscripts/xml/ojs_schema.xml]

[data: dbscripts/xml/indexes.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_change_assoc_type.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_change_assoc_type_metrics.xml]
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_settings.xml]

[code: Installer Installer::migrateArticleMetadata]
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionSubjectDAO::build() should be compatible with ControlledVocabDAO::build($symbolic, $assocType = 0, $assocId = 0) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionSubjectDAO.inc.php on line 21
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionDisciplineDAO::build() should be compatible with ControlledVocabDAO::build($symbolic, $assocType = 0, $assocId = 0) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionDisciplineDAO.inc.php on line 157
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionAgencyDAO::build() should be compatible with ControlledVocabDAO::build($symbolic, $assocType = 0, $assocId = 0) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionAgencyDAO.inc.php on line 154
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionLanguageDAO::build() should be compatible with ControlledVocabDAO::build($symbolic, $assocType = 0, $assocId = 0) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionLanguageDAO.inc.php on line 155
PHP Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 133
PHP Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/SettingsDAO.inc.php on line 41
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO.inc.php on line 52
PHP Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 133
PHP Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/SettingsDAO.inc.php on line 41
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml]

[code: Installer Installer::clearDataCache]

[code: Installer Installer::migrateUserRoles]

[code: Installer Installer::installDefaultGenres]

[code: Installer Installer::fixReviewForms]

[code: Installer Installer::htmlifyEmailTemplates]
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::getBaseEmailTemplate() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::getBaseEmailTemplate($emailKey, $assocType, $assocId) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::getLocaleEmailTemplate() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::getLocaleEmailTemplate($emailKey, $assocType, $assocId) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::getEmailTemplate() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::getEmailTemplate($emailKey, $locale, $assocType, $assocId) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::deleteEmailTemplateByKey() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::deleteEmailTemplateByKey($emailKey, $assocType, $assocId) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::getEmailTemplates() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::getEmailTemplates($locale, $assocType, $assocId, $rangeInfo = NULL) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::templateExistsByKey() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::templateExistsByKey($emailKey, $assocType = NULL, $assocId = NULL) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of EmailTemplateDAO::customTemplateExistsByKey() should be compatible with PKPEmailTemplateDAO::customTemplateExistsByKey($emailKey, $assocType, $assocId) in /ojs/classes/mail/EmailTemplateDAO.inc.php on line 20
[note: docs/release-notes/README-BEACON]

[code: Installer Installer::installEmailTemplate]

[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_scheduledTasks.xml]

[code: Installer Installer::localizeCustomBlockSettings]

[code: Installer Installer::convertEditorDecisionNotes]

[code: Installer Installer::convertQueries]
PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /ojs/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23
PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getCategory() on null in /ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 755

and here https://paste.pound-python.org/show/KnuzWftWaIu0bo6Q0w3p/
you can find the result of the query you asked me.
thanks

Hi @abstr4kt,

This query is a little more selective:

SELECT sf.* FROM submission_files sf LEFT JOIN genres g ON (sf.genre_id = g.genre_id) WHERE g.genre_id IS NULL AND sf.genre_id IS NOT NULL;

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher,
sorry for the delay of this reply but my office was closed on this days…
here you can find the output of the last query you asked me.
thanks

Hi @abstr4kt,

Hmm, interesting. What do you see in the genres table?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher i’m back with the info you asked me:
here the result of
SELECT * FROM ‘genres’

genre_id	context_id	seq	sortable	enabled	category	dependent	supplementary	entry_key
  5	2	0	0	1	1	0	0	SUBMISSION
  9	2	1	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHINSTRUMENT
13	2	2	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHMATERIALS
17	2	3	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHRESULTS
21	2	4	0	1	3	0	1	TRANSCRIPTS
25	2	5	0	1	3	0	1	DATAANALYSIS
29	2	6	0	1	3	0	1	DATASET
33	2	7	0	1	3	0	1	SOURCETEXTS
37	2	8	0	1	1	1	1	MULTIMEDIA
41	2	9	0	1	2	1	0	IMAGE
45	2	10	0	1	1	1	0	STYLE
49	2	11	1	1	3	0	1	OTHER
53	1	0	0	1	1	0	0	SUBMISSION
57	1	1	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHINSTRUMENT
61	1	2	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHMATERIALS
65	1	3	0	1	3	0	1	RESEARCHRESULTS
69	1	4	0	1	3	0	1	TRANSCRIPTS
73	1	5	0	1	3	0	1	DATAANALYSIS
77	1	6	0	1	3	0	1	DATASET
81	1	7	0	1	3	0	1	SOURCETEXTS
85	1	8	0	1	1	1	1	MULTIMEDIA 
89	1	9	0	1	2	1	0	IMAGE
93	1	10	0	1	1	1	0	STYLE
97	1	11	1	1	3	0	1	OTHER

thanks

Hi @abstr4kt,

That data looks odd to me – when you try another upgrade, are you making sure to drop your database and re-create it before restoring from your OJS 2.x backup? I wonder whether some parts of the failed upgrade aren’t sticking around.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
Ofcourse i did, so that not the case, some earlier upgrade this happened to me but i suddenly noticed that becouse if i left an half upgraded db the journals became unreachable, ofcourse wrong path.

Regards