Cannot find Crossref Reference Linking Plugin in Plugin Gallery

I just upgraded my OJS website to v3.2.1.1 and find that the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin has disappeared. It isn’t even available under Plugin Gallery to reinstall. Could you please advise? Thanks.

Hi @reagan

I get success in registering new DOIs, using updated version of that plugin. The link is here. Regards,

Thanks @drugurkocak. I was considering installing the plugin manually from Github, but I just wanted to inquire whether the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin has been removed from OJS v3.2.1.1, or if my upgrade broke the plugin gallery somehow. I can now see that even the Better Password Plugin and the Form Honeypot Plugin, both of which used to be available from the plugin gallery have now disappeared.

Hi @reagan,

See: [OJS 3.2.1.1] Crossref XML export error: Unrecognized DAO PublishedArticleDAO! - #15 by asmecher

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks @asmecher. I did read through that post, but thought the issue I was facing was different since I can’t even see the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin in the plugin gallery, along with the Better Password Plugin and the Form Honeypot Plugin. My interpretation of the issue that was being discussed in that post was that enabling the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin broke the OJS landing page, despite it being available in the plugin gallery.

Hi @reagan,

The set of plugins listed in the Plugin Gallery will be only those that are specifically designated as compatible with your version of OJS. The CrossRef reference linking plugin has not been released for OJS 3.2.1-1 yet – this will happen soon and it will appear in the Gallery then.

The other plugins you mention are not maintained by PKP so you might want to check with the authors if they plan to update.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher - Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for clarifying.

@ctgraham - I can see on Github that you are the author of the Better Password Plugin and the Form Honeypot Plugin. Would you be able to provide any information on whether these plugins will be made available for OJS v3.2.1.1 in the near future?

Warm Regards

Reagan

3.2 support for our Pitt ULS maintained plugins is on our shortlist for this fall. September might be an aggressive timeline for us, but it is my current hope.

@ctgraham - Thanks a lot for confirming. We’ll delay the upgrade of our production site for now.

Hello Alec,
should the CrossRef reference linking plugin be available for ojs 3.1.1.2?
Hope you are well!!!
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

Currently that plugin is only available for OJS 3.1.2-x (and will soon be updated for 3.2.x). We don’t have plans to port it back to 3.1.1-x or earlier.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
As I cannot see it in the gallery, is is because it needs to be enabled by out provider, 4science?
Again, thanks…
L.

Hi @lsteele,

You are using OJS 3.1.1-2, correct? The reference linking plugin will not show up in the Plugin Gallery for that version because it is not compatible.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher - I recognise you’ve probably got your hands full with other more important tasks, but I just wanted to check if you had any news to share on the timeline for upgrading the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin for OJS v3.2. Incompatibility of critical plugins is the only thing that is keeping us from upgrading to v3.2.

@ctgraham - Same question regarding the Better Password and Form Honeypot plugins.

Kind Regards

Reagan

Hi all,

We’ll be dusting off the CrossRef Reference Linking plugin shortly, thanks for your patience and stay tuned for an update.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Pitt ULS plugins (such as Better Password and Form Honeypot) should be certified for 3.2 during January 2021.

@asmecher, @ctgraham - Thanks a lot for the updates!

1 Like

Hi @asmecher

I just took a look again and could still not find the Crossref Reference Linking Plugin in the Plugin Gallery of my test installation of OJS 3.2.1. Looking at the Github page for the plugin, it says that the plugin is ready for OJS 3.3. I would assume that in this case, it is also working on OJS 3.2.1? Could you please let me know if I should be doing anything different to install this plugin on OJS 3.2.1? I could update my test installation to OJS 3.3, but I’m afraid that other plugins like the Better Password and Form Honeypot plugins might not be compatible with it, further delaying my upgrade from OJS 3.1.2. I can see that both the Better Password and Form Honeypot plugins are now available to install in my test installation of OJS 3.2.1.

Thanks!

Reagan

Hi @reagan,

The CrossRef Reference Linking plugin is available for 3.1.2-x and 3.3.0-x – but not, as you note, 3.2.x. This is a little unusual (usually we keep official plugins up to date) but that work wasn’t done in this case.

There is a pre-release version of the plugin on Github (see Releases · pkp/crossrefReferenceLinking · GitHub) for 3.2.1, but that hasn’t been officially released, so your mileage may vary.

My recommendation would be to target 3.3.x rather than upgrading to an old version, and check with the dev maintaining the plugins that you would be missing. Perhaps you can make do without them until they’re ready?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher. Thanks a lot for your response. Will upgrade my test installation to 3.3.0 as you suggest, and test the compatibility of the other plugins. Cheers!