Can each article type have it's own APC?

I am trying to configure OJS so that a Letter has a different APC from a Full Length Article. Can somebody be so kind as to point out how this is done? Many thanks,

Bas

Hi Bas,

How are you configuring APC (I assume it’s article processing charges right?) at the first place?

Cheers,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for replying. I am setting up an OJS installation and would like to have a journal that has three different article-types and thus 3 different APC’s. I have read the general bit on APC’s and believe I can set this up. Just I would like to have 3 different APC’s for my journal.
Say
Letter € 500
Full Length Article € 750
Review € 100

I couldn’t find a way to do this. Am I missing something or is it just not possible?

Bas

Hi Bas,

Currently you can use the Payments manager page to configure both author and reader fees. But that’s not associated with sectiions, which means you can’t charge a different fee depending on the selected section.

If you are a PHP developer or can work with one, this page and functionality should be the start point to implement what you need. It will require a lot of programming and OJS knowledge, specially if you want to do it right, which is using the plugins structure to implement the relation between fees and journal sections.

If you’re willing to implement something like that as a plugin, maybe you can share that with the community and I can help you with some technical advices and code review.

Cheers,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the clear answer. It is a bit what I feared (Dulip Whitanage, who I know indicated something similar also). Have you got any ‘crude guess’ how many hours of coding this would take? Are we talking 10, 20, 40 or 100 hours of coding?

If this is (financially) doable for me I would be willing to share with the community (as I am quite a fan of OA publishing)

Bas

Hi Bas,

For someone with PHP experience and deep OJS code knowledge, I would guess that 20 hours (to be safe), maybe less. For someone that doesn’t know yet the OJS code, it would take longer, for sure, but how much will depends on the person.

Cheers,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Could you recommend somebody to me? (perhaps you can do it). If I calculate crudely 20 hours at € 50 per hour it works out at € 1.000. I guess it would be worth € 1.000 to me. I would be willing to contribute the code to the community.

Bas

Hi Bas,

Thank you for offering to share this potential contribution with the wider OJS community. The PKP may be able to take on the implementation as a sponsored development project. If you’d like to proceed with this option, can you please contact me directly via email and we discuss your requirements in more detail.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @Bas @beghelli @mfelczak,

I have the same query as discussed in this thread by @Bas. I need to setup different article processing charges (APC) for my journal with 4 different article types.

Is there any plugin or code that has been developed to implement this feature?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
yhwong

Hi @yhwong,

OJS currently supports a single APC that you can setup under Journal Management => Payments. I’m not aware of any plugins that extend this function on a per-section basis.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @mfelczak,

Sorry for digging out old topic, but I couldn’t find any similar topic in this forum.
As discussed above, did @Bas contacted you to implement this as a sponsored development project?

I’d like to contact @Bas personally to catch up on this APC configuration, is there a way I could find out his email?

Many thanks,
yhwong

Hi @yhwong,

You can try a direct message to @Bas via the forum.

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like