Bounced emails (OJS 2.4.5.0)

Hi there,

We have a Gmail account that we use to send all emails from our OJS install – noreply.ojs@scielo.org.

Nobody checks that email and we use the same e-mail for all the currently 52 journals regularly using the SciELO install of OJS. We have an automatic e-mail reply that is sent anytime someone tries to reply to that account.

As you know, there is a field where journals can specify an e-mail address for bounces in Step 1 of journal Setup, however that isn’t working. All bounced e-mails are still being delivered to the noreply.ojs@scielo.org e-mail.

How can we make it so that the bounces are sent to the e-mail specified by the journals in Step 1?

We are still using OJS 2.4.5.0 in process of updating to 3.0.1.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @alexxxmendonca,

This might be something happening in OJS, or it might be a side-effect of your mail delivery chain. For example, not all MTAs will permit you to specify a bounce address, some might require it to belong to the sender domain, etc.

I would suggest dumping an outgoing email to your log, e.g. using error_log(print_r(..., true));, then checking the generated email headers to see if they’re what you’d expect. Then compare them against the email that you receive through your email chain to see whether something has altered the bounce header in the process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thank you for your response, I’ll try to align something with out IT team (I can’t do this on my own, need their help here).

So there is a way to actually send bounced e-mails to the address specified in Step 1, right? Even within an install that hosts 52 different journals? If there is a way, we’ll do the best we can to make that possible.

Cheers,
Alex

Hi @alexxxmendonca,

Yes, that’s the “envelope sender” – this setting in Step 1 is disabled by default, but can be enabled by enabling allow_envelope_sender in config.inc.php, and it sounds like that’s already done on your server. However, whether that header will behave as expected depends heavily on your mail server’s setup, which is why it requires a configuration option to be enabled in OJS before the field will appear.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you, Alec!

I’ll let our IT guys know and update this post should anything else comes up.

Cheers,
Alex