Bepress plugin questions

We have installed the Bepress plugin on our dev site to test the feature. Reading the github documentation it seems to be a server only application? Which is unfortunate since the person who would be using this plugin wouldn’t have access to our server.
Am I understanding it wrong? Can this plugin be used in the user interface? When I click the tab in the import export section,it gives me a blank screen.

I know it also needs to have a path to send the files to, which when I try to set up: php tools/importExport.php BepressImportPlugin falsctest simonne editorsimonne sjackson@flvc.org ojsdev/simonne/bepress_xml/falsctest
it doesn’t work.

What application are you using?
OJS 3.3.0-5

Hi @sjackson,

That’s correct. It requires access and skills to work with the plugin on the serverside. @mfelczak: can you advise on the the path and file issue here?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @sjackson,

The path will need to be the full, absolute path to avoid any issues with relative paths. Could you give that a try?

If you are receiving any output errors, could you share those as well?

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

@ewhanson I was able to upload the test file with filezilla. However, I cannot find the files in the journal.

Can this plugin be used on a single server multiple hosted journals site?

Thank you,
Simone

Hi @sjackson, yes it can be used with a multi-journal installation. Could you share where you uploaded the file in relation to your install? You must first upload the files to your server then run the import tool, specifying the location of the files.

See the plugin Readme file for more information on the directory structure the files will need to be in as well as how to run the command line tool.

Could you provide some more detail about the steps you’ve already taken?

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

I created a new directory to upload the files into, then uploaded the files via filezilla.
I then try and execute the php tool with this as the importpath /user/home/sjackson/simonne_test.

so it looks like php tools/importExport.php BepressImportPlugin falsctest simonne editorsimonne sjackson@flvc.org /user/home/sjackson/simonne_test

with my user of course being added where it says user. The simonne_test has both a pdf and xml .

Hi @sjackson,

Thanks for providing the additional info. Are you getting any errors or other response output when you run the command?

Also, do you have your files in the required set of folders, e.g. ./simonne_test/vol1/iss1/1, ./simonne_test/vol1/iss1/2, etc? The vol# and iss# folders are required by the plugin.

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

This is the path /home/sjackson/simonne_test/vol1/iss1/1 and when I try to run php tools/importExport.php BepressImportPlugin falsctest simonne editorsimonne sjackson@flvc.org /sjackson/home/sjackson/simonne_test/vol1/iss1/1

I get the error that the command isn’t found.

Hi @sjackson,

Could you share the exact text of the error you’re receiving? Could you also run php tools/importExport.php list and share the output?

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

bepres2

I’m going to try something , I may not have been as specific as my server needed.

So I have ensured my files are there, they are in the correct naming scheme, I do the command line to upload them to the plugin. However nothing happens, it just goes back to being blank. I checked my test journal and I don’t see the file.

Hi @sjackson,

Thanks for sharing. I think I see what might be going on. When you run the command, you need to point it to the top level of the import file directory: /home/sjackson/simmone_test rather than /home/sjackson/simmone_test/voll1/iss1/1. With the directories in that format, the plugin will automatically find all volume/issues/articles within the directory.

Regards,

Erik
PKP Team

I can’t update my post but we are now running:

We just upgraded to OJS 3.3.0.14
PHP 8

It’s stating it needs an article issue but, it’s there in the path /home/sjackson/bepress_xml/falsctest1/vol1/iss1/1 and the files are there.

Bumping my post, hoping someone can help.
I messaged @mfelczak as well.

Hello Simonne,

This is a somewhat belated reply, but it looks like your import path on the command-line is set for a single issue rather than the top-level import folder.

importPath: full filepath to import bepress files (e.g. /home/user/bepress_xml/journalName)

The import plugin will traverse all volumes/issues in the import folder so the last param should be,

/home/sjackson/bepress_xml/falsctest1/

rather than,

/home/sjackson/bepress_xml/falsctest1/vol1/iss1/1

Best,
Michael

Hello Michael,
When I run just the /home/sjackson/bepress_xml/falsctest1/ it still states the article issue is missing for the test I’m trying to run. I have the article as #1 so once the plugin gets to falsctest 1 it should parse falsctest1/vol1/iss1/#1

Hello Simonne,

The CLI syntax now looks correct.

Provided that the test article is located at vol1/iss1/1/metadata.xml and vol1/iss1/1/fulltext.pdf that should work.

The only other thing to confirm would be that you’re using the 3.3.0 version of the import plugin, i.e. downloaded via GitHub - mfelczak/bepress at stable-3_3_0

Best,
Michael

I believe so unless another version has been release this year?
The only other thing that it could be is the MODs. I have this in the xml document. Should I remove them?

<volume>1</volume>
       <article-issue>1</article-issue>

Also, it looks to be pulling old data from somewhere. Not even my test files?