Assigning Roles as admin wants password

Hi,

I recently installed OJS 3.2.0.1 (fresh install, not upgrade).

As an admin I go to Users & Roles > Users > I select a user > Edit user to assign User Roles. Let’s say I want user “Henry” to be “Section editor”. So I select “Section editor” for Henry and hit “OK” at the bottom of the page.

When I do that I get a message that says “Errors occurred processing this form” and “The password must be at least 6 characters.”

Problem: I don’t know Henry’s password.
Obviously near the password fields it says “Leave the password fields blank to keep the current password.”
But that doesn’t work. I’m not allowed to leave them blank. I’d assume as admin I should be able to change a user’s roles without having to provide the user’s password, right?

Any suggestions?

Hi @alaskadream,

See Edit User, the password may not blank ?? · Issue #5666 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for a bug entry and a patch you can use to correct it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. As far as I understand there are two files that need changes applied. Would you be able to provide the two files as a download so I’d just need to replace them? I’m sorry for bothering you, I’m fairly new to this and feel a bit insecure as to what needs to be changed.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Hi @alaskadream,

There is only one change necessary – see #5666: password on existing user for is optional · pkp/pkp-lib@c201a7d · GitHub. This is in the pkp-lib library that is included as a submodule in the OJS installation, so look in the lib/pkp directory for the path included in the commit. You can use standard tools like patch to apply changes.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Dear Alec
Looks like I was looking at a different github page the first time round. Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. Made the change and it worked like a charm.
Thank you for your great support,
Matthias

1 Like