Article's translation workflow in OJS 2.x

Today a journal asked as about how to deal with the article’s they translate.

I mean, the translation is made at the end, after the original language galley is accepted… and then they forward this pdf to the translator but the platform is not able to accept this steps in the regular workflow so they work outside the platform sending mails and uploading the result…

Is there a way to extends the workflow with this last part steps to allow the translator-layouteditor keep working inside OJS?

Hi @marc,

Does that translation/layout occur after the first language galley and proofreading? As in all the steps are marked complete within OJS?

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project

Hi @pmangahis,

Yes, that’s what I wanted to say with:

the translation is made at the end, after the original language galley is accepted…

The original (first language) galley is waiting to be publish (in “Production” phase) with former steps marked as complete… they start the translation to other langs.

They like to confirm all is fine with the original galley before they start translating…that imho is the right way to work.

How do you deal with inside the workflow?

Hi @marc,

OJS 2 has a very rigid workflow once the proofreading steps are complete, you would have to do the remaining steps externally (as you do now).

OJS 3 does offer more flexibility in its workflow. Within the production tab of OJS 3, you could assign both the layout editor and translator and keep the discussions within the system. I would highly recommend that you take a look at the OJS 3 demo to see if this is better suited for your needs.

Kind Regards,
Patricia M.
Public Knowledge Project

Thanks Patricia.

I will encourage them to move to OJS3.

Cheers,
m.