ABSTRACT Link on the TOC page in 2.4.8.4

We recently migrated our journals from 2.4.6 to 2.4.8.4. A couple of the editors noticed one odd glitch on the Table of Contents pages. Before the upgrade we had the title linked to the abstract page and then separate right side links for “ABSTRACT” (to the abstract page also) and “PDF” to the PDF itself. Now the right side ABSTRACT link does not appear. (Frankly, I think it looks better this way frankly, but the editors are worried.) Is there a page where this link is defined that I could edit? I seem to remember such a thing in the past, but cannot seem to find it now. Any helpful pointers about this would be appreciated!

Hi @Jeffery_Triggs,

Does the article in question actually have an abstract entered?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes. Occasionally there will be a letter from the editor that does not have an abstract, but all the content articles have one.

I was able to get it back (for the time being) by replacing the issue.tpl with the one from 2.4.6, but it would be nice to have a real solution to the 2.4.8.4 problem.

Hi @Jeffery_Triggs,

I wouldn’t recommend copying code from an older version of OJS over top of a newer one – it’s likely to have unexpected side-effects.

Are you sure this wasn’t a modification you made to your 2.4.6 installation? OJS 2.4.6 should behave as 2.4.8-4 does in this regard.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

It might have been a modification originally made to an earlier version. This is the first time we’ve upgraded with a fresh download rather than a patch. Some of our journal versions go back before 2, but we’ve tried to maintain the same look and feel.

Jeffery

Hi @Jeffery_Triggs,

The best way to work with modified installs (especially if you’re not sure what has been modified) will probably be to use diff to compare your installation against a stock version, and then patch to re-apply those changes. For PKP’s own hosting, we use git-based installations, which has been very helpful in tracking modifications.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Our method was to start with the stock version and the old one next to it. We did plenty of diffs to see which customized files (starting with public) needed to be copied over. I found vimdiff very useful for adding things from out working config.inc.php to the new one. Finally we turned installed to Off, ran the upgrade.php script on the database, and turned installed back to On. The only tweaking I had to do was the split-to-explode change in setup5 and a continue to continue 2 change in lib/pkp/lib/htmlpurifier/library/HTMLPurifier/ChildDef/Table.php. I missed the Abstract difference until we went live and a couple of the editors noticed it which point I reached out to you guys;-)