A few questions on Author affiliation

Hi All
I tried searching but not much joy…
How can the Author affiliation be displayed alongside the Abstract and in general how to display more metadata in the abstract view (page numbers, journal name, volume and issue, corresponding author email…)

Also, is it possible to change the email address field when entering metadata to make it non mandatory? Sometime we have email address of only the corresponding author.

THANKS!

Hi @Nazimm,

The changes into the abstract page would have to be implemented in the templates/article/article.tpl file. There is no OJS configuration to implement what you’re asking.

Related to the email address, it would require a more complex change (not only inside the form template file to remove the required mark, you would have to change the classes/submission/form/MetadataForm.inc.php file to remove the email form validator).

You would need also to change the column email inside the authors table to accept null values, which is not the ideal thing, since the next upgrade you will have to remember to change that into the xml file that describes this table.

Also you would have to check the whole system to see if it is not expecting a valid email address for all authors, I am not sure if that’s the case. If it is, then your change would break the system. Long story short, not an easy change. :smile:

Cheers,
Bruno

Thanks Bruno
We managed to display the affiliation for each author but not (yet) as below:
Author- affiliation
Author- affiliation
etc…

It displays
Author
Author

Affiliation
Affiliation

We’ll crack that one today I am sure:)

@Nazimm, I am not sure because I didn’t look all the code, but I think you can change the Article class getAuthorString method to return it the way you want. Just make sure you grep for that method usage to check if every case will be ok with your changes. I think they will.

Cheers,
Bruno

@Beghelli, just wanted to clarify the question because we have the same challenge too. The author affiliation customization implemented by Global Health Action, a journal whose excellent customization was featured by PKP. Does anyone know how they did this? Here is the link to see author affiliation information displayed in abstract: http://www.eht-journal.net/index.php/ehtj/article/view/24173.

@ijma-usa,

I think that this change was made directly on the article page template file, and it was not the same that I described previously, for sure. I think that basically the code grabs each institution from each author and assigns an index to it, and then assign the index to the author string with a link to the institution name.

Cheers,
Bruno