2.4.7->3.0.0 problem

We upgraded a copy of our 2.4.7 install. No journal titles, descriptions or cover images made it through. I also chose Norwegian as the main language by mistake, and then switched back to English but most of the interface is still in non-translated Norwegian. In short, this is a big mess. Got no errors during the installation.

Best regards
Geir Rosset

Hi @geirrosset,

The Norwegian language is incomplete in OJS 3.0 – we depend on volunteer translators. If there’s any chance you’d be willing to contribute to the translation, then @mtub can hook you in. As for the rest, if you changed your primary language to English but English data hasn’t been entered for titles etc., then that would explain why they disappeared.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I know that the Norwegian translation has not been completed, which is why I removed Norwegian locale and went back to English. But what you say about the titles, and cover images makes no sense to me. The locale only changes the interface language doesn’t it? I take it you don’t mean that If we offer five different languages for our interface we have to enter everything five times? The journal title does not change just because it’s called “title” and not “tittel”. And the cover image most certainly does not change.

The second problem is that even though I changed the site locale back to English, and even removed Norwegian as an option, the “buttons” and menu options are now mostly in hash tags as if they were not translated. A few, that were apparently translated into Norwegian have stayed Norwegian even though that locale was removed.

Hi @geirrosset,

The language drop-down changes the interface language, but OJS also tracks what language you’re entering data in. For single-language journals it hides the drop-downs entirely (there’s no point in presenting the user with a drop-down with no other options in it), so for the most common case your interface language and your form language will be the same.

The policy OJS uses for languages is as follows: There is a single primary language, for which data in “required” fields (such as article titles) is mandatory. For other languages, all content is optional, but when it’s missing in a secondary language the value for the primary language is used instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team