Subscription Module for OJS 3

What kind of options will the plugin have for journal managers?

Will journal managers have the option to make time-based subscription, such as 2017 subscription gets you materials published in 2017 OR the recent issues?

Please, clarify.

Hi @newone,

Are you familiar with the OJS2 subscription tools? We’ll probably start with those features as a basis, so if something is conspicuously missing, please let us know. We may also simplify the payment options, as I believe a number of them haven’t been used enough to justify their inclusion.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Yes, I am familiar with OJS subscription tools.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this: “… a number of them haven’t been used enough to justify their inclusion.”

How do you know what is being used? What justifies enough? Does OJS track what is being used on websites that use OJS?

Newone

Hi @newone,

We don’t have good statistics, but do host a number of journals that we occasionally check with to see what’s being used. As I maintain the code I also notice that certain features are unreportedly broken, and that’s a pretty clear indication that the feature isn’t broadly used. If you have a sense of which payment interactions you need for your journal, you can of course post here to provide us with more information.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

Okay. What are these certain features that are unreportedly broken?

I had made some request and was informed that OJS will not include any of them in future OJS. My requests are still the same. What I will add to that is a way to have a Buy Now or Pay Now feature on each article. In essence, an article will have Buy Now, Subscribe to Journal, Submit, and Get a Quote (for institutions)

Newone

1 Like

Hi @newone,

What we’re likely to start with for OJS3 is a subset of the subscription tools available to OJS 2.x. While I’m not aware of any subscription functionality in OJS2 that’s currently broken, I’m suspicious about the lack of maintenance or feedback on e.g. the fast-track payment option available to authors.

As we code subscriptions/payments for OJS3, we’ll also be trying to make things more modular and less code-heavy, so that user-specific adjustments and potentially further plugins are easier for OJS3 than they were for OJS2. That reflects the fact that some areas, such as payments, have pretty scattered requirements depending on who you ask.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Do you know when the subscription features will be added in OJS 3?

-Newone

Hi @newone,

That’s currently scheduled for release in OJS 3.1; see Milestones - pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for milestone timelines.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher

Is subscription module now part of OJS 3.0.2? Or is that still being worked on?

Do you know when the subscription module will become available?

-Newone

Hi @newone,

As above, it’ll be part of OJS 3.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher

Do you know when OJS 3.1 is coming out?

-Newone

Hi @newone,

See the link above.

Regards,