Struggling to Install (then upgrade) OJS via git

Hi,

I’m trying to eventually upgrade fro an up-to-date OJS 2.4.x site to a new .git installation of OJS 3.2.x. The basic .git install was OK. I just;

git clone https://github.com/pkp/ojs.git

git submodule update --init --recursive

I moved the files I needed to for upgrade, merged my config files, ran

php tools/upgrade.php upgrade (no output from that)

When I try to first load the site, I get a fatal PHP error
require_once(/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/ircmaxell/password-compat/lib/password.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/classes/security/Validation.inc.php on line 16
[Mon Mar 20 14:59:17 2017] [error] [client 198.96.78.130] PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required ‘/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/ircmaxell/password-compat/lib/password.php’ (include_path=’.:/home2/journals/test_html/classes:/home2/journals/test_html/pages:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/classes:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/pages:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/adodb:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/phputf8:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes:/home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/lib/smarty:.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php’) in /home2/journals/test_html/lib/pkp/classes/security/Validation.inc.php on line 16

lib/pkp/lib/vendor/ircmaxell/password-compat/lib/password.php is indeed not there, and if I check the GitHub - pkp/pkp-lib: PKP Web Application Library it doesn’t seem to be there either.

I must have missed something fundamental at the beginning… I’d really like to set this up with git… any pointers?

Thanks,
verdon

1 Like

Hi @verdonv,

You’re missing the Composer dependencies. Try…

cd lib/pkp
composer update

I see that this isn’t mentioned in the wiki documentation – I’ll add it there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks Alec,

I’m getting
bash: composer: command not found

I’ll see if I can sort that out.

v

Should there be a composer.phar file somewhere? In lib/pkp/ I’m just seeing a composer.json and composer.lock file.

Hi @verdonv,

You’ll have to install Composer if it’s not installed on your server already – see http://getcomposer.org/ for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec… just figuring that out. I don’t know a whole lot about composer… have it on my development Mac, but not on my production CentOS box.

That did the job, and the upgrade looks to have gone OK (3 small journals). There’s a LOT of ‘PHP Strict Standards’ and a couple ‘PHP Parse error’ in the httpd log, so I’ll have to turn down the noise there a bit. I suppose it is to be expected that I have to redo all my themes… hope it is worth it :wink:

Hi @verdonv,

A note about the strict mode standards – these are currently a known annoyance; we’ve already resolved them in the current development codebase, and starting with OJS 3.1 they’ll no longer be a problem.

If you’re running into problems, watch out for the PHP fatal errors. Those can provide more information that’ll help debug.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks for your help… things seem to be working, but I’ve got lots of tires yet to be kicked… I did find what I think is a bug, and created a ticket at GitHub.