Sending emails on works workflow in OJS 3.0.1 (and 3.0.0 too)

Humm I see, what kind of setting you had to change? are you using G Suite for Emailing ?

In OJS 3 you do not need to make any changes as it uses PHP script mail() to send emails, therefore the emailing worked out of the box without any setting.

Before we upgraded to the latest version of 3.x this week, I could to to users and click a single box for every page full of users and email them. This functionality doesn’t seem to exist, making it hard to email all users. Any tips?

Also, I learned how to create an announcement, but it just appears on the website. I want to re-assure our readers and reviews about the new look.

Hi @reflections,

OJS 3.x doesn’t yet have a good mass-notification toolset. See Add/Improve reader notification tools · Issue #1897 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for the issue. Meanwhile, you might be best off fetching a full list of emails from the database (the email column in the users table).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks, wasn’t aware there was a Github discussion; this is separate from PKP forum? You have to be logged in as administrator to see database, correct? When I am so logged in, I don’t see how to view database. I suspect I have to contact Gossamer to request this, correct?

Hi @reflections,

We use github to discuss more technical aspects of an issue, and schedule issues for specific releases, but there is some blur between that resource and this forum.

You’ll typically have access the database through a tool like phpMyAdmin, which most hosts offer e.g. via a CPanel account.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Got it, thanks, I’ve used CPanel before, will contact Jack Ong.

Mike

Hi,
I’m experiencing the same problem as pointed out above, but even though I’ve tried all the possible solutions, nothing worked.

The problem is the following: OJS send messages when someone registers. But this is the only kind of e-mails sent. During the Workflow, no one receives the e-mails of notifications: author after submission, assigned editors, review request. The notifications are recorded in the article’s editorial history, and the people involved can read them through their respective profiles/dashboards, but that means that they must be logged in.

As main contact I use a SMTP email account from my Host provider. The journal mangers/editors use their private emails accounts (added during the register).

Any idea? Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

Hi @mendozric,

Which of the above solutions did you try, and what was the result?

What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi, @asmecher,

I’m currently using OJS 3.0.2.

I tried the following, but nothing worked:

1. Editing the config.incp.php → This is the description:

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
smtp_server = mail.hostserver.pt
smtp_port = 465

; Enable SMTP authentication
Supported mechanisms: ssl, tls
smtp_auth = ssl
smtp_username = myemail@hostserver.pt
smtp_password = mypassword

; Allow envelope sender to be specified
(may not be possible with some server configurations)
allow_envelope_sender = On

; Default envelope sender to use if none is specified elsewhere
default_envelope_sender = myemail@hostserver.pt

[Obviosly, for security reasons, I’ve modified here the passwords and email address]

1. I created an specific e-mail address for the “Principal Contact”. The email address corresponds with the smtp server and the address mentioned in the username.

2. Changed to Gmail (adapting the SMTP configuration) and modifying the principal contact address.

3. I also checked at phpMyAdmin: the emails sent through the workflow are there and can be read through user’s dashboard/profile, but for some reason, they weren’t delivered as emails.

I have no idea what else to do. Hope you can help me with this.

Ricardo

Hi @mendozric,

Is this configuration successfully sending any messages? If so, then your config.inc.php configuration is correct, but your mail server may be spam-blocking or otherwise rejecting certain messages. The only way to know for sure why it’s doing that is to get access to its delivery logs.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I could finally solve the problem. I did the following. This information might be worthy for someone else:

→ First, I set up the principal contact’s e-mail address with an e-mail account provided by my Hosting service. That is to say: an email account such as “username@myurladdress.com

→ Second, I restored the config.inc.php file to its original configuration. Without any further modification.

Then, it worked out. It wasn’t necessary to edit the config.inc.php file in order to configure the SMTP. It just started to send the notifications as e-mails.

Thanks again! Regards,

Ricardo

1 Like

it is probable that you configured your smtp work with PLAIN Password.i had the same problem but i Solved it by this check list:
For SMTP Correct config do this steps :
1- Email address You entered in Journal Making Wizard process in Contact Tab Should Be the Same Address that you use in Config.inc.php file at Smtp Section.(if this mail addresses be different OJS dos`nt send email Even with Correct Configuration)
2- Right Config for smtp section in config.inc.php For Example for Gmail is :
[email]

; Use SMTP for sending mail instead of mail()
smtp = On

; SMTP server settings
smtp_server = smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port = 465

; Enable SMTP authentication
; Supported mechanisms: ssl, tls
smtp_auth = ssl
smtp_username = EmailAdd
smtp_password = EmailPass
3- If you use mail.yourmailservername.com with plain password(example : smtp_auth = PLAIN), only paper submission and user registration emails will send and your workflow emails like Reviewer Assignment or email to users written by you in admin panel does not send to users.What is the solution? You have to use a server that support ssl Auth method.because this kind of messages only can be delivered by ssl auth method.
Good Luck

Well,

1. I tried to apply different emails includin one provided by hos and two another by gmail, one of which was exactly that I indicated in Contacts
  2. I tried different configurations of config.inc.php withall three mails
  3. I applied ssl authentification
    and…
    nothing working yet - I am getting notifications only when new submission comes and no notifications on discussuions etc.
    So it looks that your suggestion is not working for me.

after follow so many thread and finally confuse about the email sending setup. I solved the problem using this step:

1. Change config.inc.php to default configuration (note: I you’re already modify this file, better all your configuration been reset to default setup)
  2. save the file config.inc.php to take effect
  3. Create an email in your webhosting service. i.e. if your using yourwebsite.com try to create an email using your website it can be journal.admin@yourwebsite.com
  4. Make sure your email account activated
  5. open your OJS website - login using website admin account and go to "setting-journal-contact-principal contact-[change the principal email to: journal.admin@yourwebsite.com]
  6. Save configuration OJS
  7. Test your setup, you can try send reset email or you can email user account from menu “user role - email desired user”
    regards,
    my environment OJS
    hosting: shared hosting
    ojs version: 3.3.0.7