Reading Tools in 3.0.2

Hi,

We are currently testing OJS 3.0.2 after migration from OJS 2.4.
We don’t find anymore the reading tools which are used by our journals in OJS 2.4.

They use in particular by order of priority descending:

• Post a Comment
  • How to cite item
  • Email this article
  • Email the author
  • Print this article

You said in this forum, that you’re unlikely to add them all again.

I would like to know if you plan to put back in OJS 3, when you will have time, the reading tools as they are in OJS 2 now or rather to replace each of them by something else?

• For the feature “Email the author”, I understand you are working to facilitate the use of ORCID to this end
  • For the feature “How to cite item”, do we have to use now instead the new Citation Plugin as in your demo site
  • For the feature “Post a Comment”, to make public commenting on the published article (with the option login required), I read in this forum, we can use “Hypothes.is plugin
    I enabled this plugin, but I don’t find how to include it in the article page template. Can you tell me how to do it ?
    And I also would like to know how to display all comments that were already written with the feature “Post a Comment” and stored in the “comments” table ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

• “How to Cite” is still available. In the link you posted above, it’s in the Information tab. (This placement is theme-specific in this case.)
  • The Hypothes.is plugin adds a few unobtrusive buttons to the page. See e.g. the top right of the Hypothes.is blog (this isn’t an OJS installation but the tools will look the same.) This will allow the browsing of existing comments etc.
  • We don’t have any migration tools for converting the old OJS comments into Hypothes.is commentary – nor do we have current plans to write one. My sense is that the old commenting tool was not broadly used.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thanks for your answer.
I had a look to the Hypothes.is blog to see what it might look like.
But when I enable Hypothes.is Plugin in journal settings, nothing happens in the journal website. There are no new buttons that appear on the page.
Is there anything else to do other than activate the Plugin ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

You should see buttons like these at the top right of the screen (e.g. on the Hypothes.is blog):

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I found why Hypothes.is Plugin wasn’t activated in our case. In HypothesisPlugin.inc.php file, in “register” function “HookRegistry::register” is associated with “ArticleHandler::download”.
We are displaying HTML content in this kind of page:
http://journals.sfu.ca/present3/index.php/demojournal/article/view/6
And not when we click in HTML link to display this this kind of page:
http://journals.sfu.ca/present3/index.php/demojournal/article/view/6/75

So in “register” function, I associated “HookRegistry::register” with “ArticleHandler::view” and in “callback” function I commented out “if” condition for the galley, and it works in our case. It’s not necessarily done properly, but I wanted to see when Hypothes.is Plugin was called and how it worked.

To use Hypothes.is, we need to create an account in the website of Hypothes.is, am I right ?
And comments are stored in Hypothes.is database and not in OJS database ?

Old commenting tool was maybe not broadly used, but it was used for one of our journal in a very serious way and useful for them. I can suggest them to manually migrate old OJS comments into Hypothes.is commentary. But I don’t know if they will find this similar. I hope so.

Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

Yes, your modification/approach sounds good.

I haven’t looked into local hosting of comments for a couple of years, but Hypothes.is is FOSS and IIRC it is possible to run your own service if this is important. I’m not aware of anyone who has done this. There may be other tools/services that you could work. Overall we’re attempting to avoid reinventing the wheel, and commenting tools are already very common – e.g. Disqus, Commentics, etc. Our own commenting tools were lacking major features like a proper moderation/administration tool, so we decided that integration rather than reinvention was a better approach.

The Hypothes.is plugin would be easy to adapt to another JS-based tool such as Disqus, as this kind of integration typically only involves a single line of Javascript.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

How about emailing the article? I know that was mentioned in the initial post on this thread. Is there an alternative solution for that?

Hi @emilycarlisle,

Have you looked at this AddThis plugin for OJS? It doesn’t share by email, but does support various social media tools.

Regards,
Alec Smecher