[OJS3] Controlled vocabularies

Hi! Some of our journals are planning to use controlled vocabularies (e.g. JEL Classification System) for the Subject field in the article metadata.
Has anyone managed to use any controlled vocabularies in OJS3?
E.g., I know there was a Tematres plugin for OJS2. Would it be ported to OJS3?

Tagging @ajnyga, who mentioned such functionality here:

1 Like

Hi,

This is my plugin for the Finto ontology service: GitHub - ajnyga/finto: Integrates YSO ontology from the Finnish Finto service to the keyword field in OJS3.

I use a smarty filter to change the Tagit code so that it fetches results from the YSO ontology. It would be fairly easy to modify the code for any similar ontology or vocabulary with a REST API. Feel free to use the code if it suites your purpose.

I am basically saving the words like Keyword [https://path.to/keyword/uri]. This is not ideal. It would be better if the keyword and the uri would be saved separately. But I can now parse these two bits when I transfer data to the national library using a OAI-PMH plugin. If a better way of storing the keyword and uri pair is available it should be fairly easy to convert this format.

3 Likes

Hello all,

It seems this topic is of little interest?
We would like to know if there’s anyone working in integrating any Thesaurus/Controlled vocabulary tool into OJS.
Particularly, Tematres seems very interesting and simple to integrate, but apparently not maintained.

We are starting to work on defining a specific tool for managing thesaurii and integrating it into all of our apps, including OxS tools we eventually use.

Any thoughts?

We took a quick look at Finto and looks amazing. We would like to know about scalability, ease of use and integration (apparently simple, but it may not be…). It’s actually using Skosmos.org.

1 Like

@ramon, nope, it’s really interesting. And I gave @ajnyga my ‘like’. He really did a great job, since he even managed to implement a kind of autocomplete based on thesauri used. That’s really a sine qua non for such use cases.

I still have not had time enough to test it, but I think it is an ad hoc solution now, i.e. it is built for usage with that particular thesaurus. So the question is how easy it might be adopted to any other vocabulary, say JEL Classification System (nonSKOS)?

1 Like

Hi, we developed a controlled vocabulary in tematres, http://www.vocabularyserver.com/tadirah/es/index.php, and we would like to integrate it in our platform, Revista de Humanidades Digitales. However, tematres plugin seems outdate. Is someone working on this? Is there any other option of integration you could suggest us? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Gimenadelrio.

I arrived today to this post. Sorry for the lag… to much stuff to read.

I’m tema3-integration-plugin’s developer and I can’t recommend it because it’s very outdated.

PKP dev guys are talking about this subject right now so I suspect we can have a solution for this quite soon.

Cheers,
m.

1 Like

Hi, Marc any news about this?

I don’t see this included in the new 3.2, so no news. Sorry.

Please, express your interest in this subject in this issue to prioritize the feature request properly:

https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/1550

Saludos,
m.

2 Likes