[OJS 3] How to add blocks to sidebar

Hi,

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add blocks to the sidebar. I can see them in the Sidebar Management area. I have tried (3 browsers on MacOS and 1 browser on Windows) to drag blocks from Unselected to Sidebar, to no avail. Clicking on the 3 different ‘Add Item’ links also seems to do nothing.

I’m also curious about where I find the ‘Custom Block Manager’.

thks,

I just discovered what I was doing wrong… DOH!

I had to drag the first new block to the topmost position, and then I could sort it. I was not able to drag a new block to the bottom position intially.

The ‘Add Item’ links still are a mystery to me though, as is the Custom Block Manager.

I’ve got the custom block manager sorted out. Still not sure what ‘Add Item’ links are for in Settings > Website > Appearance > Sidebar management

Hi @verdonv,

Those links shouldn’t be appearing – have you customized your CSS somehow?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

No. Stock fresh install via github on Monday this week.

Hi @verdonv,

What branch are you using? Make sure you’re using the same branch both for the application repository and the lib/pkp submodule, and I’d recommend using the latest stable branch – currently ojs-stable-3_0_2 – rather than master, as the latter is undergoing active renovations and things are likely to be broken here and there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I’ll check tomorrow… pretty sure master in both cases.

Hi @verdonv,

You’ll likely have much better luck with ojs-stable-3_0_2, which tracks OJS 3.0.2 plus various minor bug fixes. Make sure you flush your various caches when changing over branches –

rm cache/t_compile/*.php
rm cache/*.css

I can’t guarantee that your master-branch database will be compatible with the ojs-stable-3_0_2 branch, but off the top of my head, I can’t think of any changes we’ve made since then.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks. I’ll give that a try today. If I’m still seeing anything odd, I can nuke it and start fresh. I found the git page a little confusing and may have made initial errors. I’ll document better this time.

@asmecher,

FYI… starting fresh with ojs-stable-3_0_2 got rid of those links. Sorry about the false alarm.

v

Hi @verdonv,

Glad to hear it’s working!

Regards,
Alec Smecher