OJS 3: Add menu items to top navigation bar

How do I add new top level menus and submenus to existing menus? How do I link static pages to the menus? Thanks!

@johnadam241993,

I am having difficulty of finding which files to modify. I looked almost everywhere to find templates or css files to modify the layout etc too but no luck. I shall appreciate it very much if you could point me in the right direction.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

Is this the reader’s view of the journal, or the editorial back-end?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

It is readers’ view of the journal. Thanks.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

Try templates/frontend/components/primaryNavMenu.tpl. If changes to that file aren’t reflected when you view the journal, make sure your file permissions in cache/t_compile permit OJS to make changes to its contents.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Thanks. I will try that. By the way, where can I find templates for other pages, e.g., home page, article display, etc?

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen

In OJS 3.0, the reader front-end is entirely implemented in templates/frontend – the structural elements are in pages, and you can see how those bring in additional elements (mostly in objects) by following the includes from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher,

I am looking at headerhead.tpl. There is line “{load_stylesheet context=“frontend” stylesheets=$stylesheets}”. Where is the values for this $stylesheets variable stored? Same questions for loading javascripts. I think I saw it somewhere but again how do I load additional scripts? Should I just place the additional scripts in a designated folder? Thanks.

Hi @Paul_Chen,

Both stylesheets and javascripts are managed using functions in the PKPTemplateManager class. See the addJavaScript and addStyleSheet functions there (both the implementation and several cases of usage).

Regards
Alec Smecher

I would like to add Ahead of print in the main navigation bar. I found the file and created copies of folders and file in the child theme. From my new menu item I need to point to specific issue (number 16) from archives (which serves as an Ahead of print issue).

I use this code:

<a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="issue" op="view/16"}">
{translate key="navigation.aheadofprint"}
</a>
</li>
<li>

But this doesent work, as the slash is not transcribed as / in URL, so I end up with:

http//
index.php/jhsci/issue/view%252F16

which gives 404 page.

How to create a proper URL for issue?
How to create an URL for static page?
What file to modify to make a new translation key for new menu items?

Lot of questions from me :flushed:
Best regards,
Dijana

Hi,

You need:
<a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="issue" op="view" path="16"}">

URL to a static page
<a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="pagepath"}">

Custom translation strings you could handle via a themeplugin. If you want to use the default theme, create a childtheme where you add your own translations and also the custom navigation bar.

2 Likes

Hi @ajnyga,

Works like a charm. Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Dijana

Hi!
I added to templates/frontend/components/primaryNavMenu.tpl the lines

<li>
    					<a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="referee-guidelines"}">
    						{translate key="Referee Guidelines"}
    					</a>
</li>

However now in main navigation menu I have ##Referee Guidelines## displayed.
How can I remove ## ?

Also how can I add the link to the static page to sidebar menu? Is it possible to add to Information block an additional element For Referees, or have I use Custom Block Manager?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @novikoffav,

Normally you’d use {translate key="some.symbolic.name}, then add a locale key called some.symbolic.name to the locale file containing the actual translated text.

It’s not best practice, but the simplest thing to do is not to call {translate} at all, just to place Referee Guidelines in the template directly. That’s simpler, but obviously it’ll be fixed in a single language.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

The simple way is to add a new static page by using the static page plugin and edit

1. “\locale\en_US\local.xml” add something like <'message key=“messages” '>Messages ‘<’/message '>" under ‘<’!-- Navigation -->"
  2. “\templates\frontend\components\primaryNavMenu.tpl” add something like '<‘li>
    <‘a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page=“messages”}">
    {translate key=“messages”}
    <’/a>
    <’/li> before the last <'ul>
    Note: messages means the path of the page and Messages is the menu item. remove the ’ from html elements if you are doing copy pasting.

For me it is hard to believe that the developers have done such a great job but missed out something crucial as this. Do you think its is possible to develop a MENU PLUGIN for OJS 3?

I managed to create multiple menu items, as

1. “\locale\en_US\local.xml” add something like this below all codes before closing </locale>. This need to be added one for each menu and in all languages supported by the journal

Editorial Board
    Associate Editors

“\templates\frontend\components\primaryNavMenu.tpl” add something like before before the last close listing . We need to create one like this for each Menu Items

<li><a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="EditorialBoard"}">
{translate key="extra.menu.item1"}
</a>
</li> 
<li><a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="AssociateEditors"}">
{translate key="extra.menu.item1"}
</a>
</li> 

The page=“AssociateEditors” the PATH name of the created static page.

I also realised that you can add pages as sub section of ABOUT menu as, but it will display it like http://ojs.dotaca.com/index.php/KJSC/index

<li>
	<a href="{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="about" page="EditorialBoard"}">
		{translate key="about.EditorialBoard"}
	</a>
1 Like

This functionality is scheduled for 3.1 (May):

I suggest to integrate this WP open source menu , might be life saving

Greetings,

I wanted to add a menu item / to go to journals home page which helps users from single journal page to go back to multiple journal/index page. i have a problem with the path : i used page = “indexSite” but the link includes the single journal page : index.php/ehkj/indexSite this gives 404 not found , while the required page is : index.php or index.php/indexSite

Back to portal page is your naked domain

If you journal is https://journals.example.com/index.php/j#1

then your portal will be https://journals.example.com