Journal Setup Error on Submission Page

I have made a clean install of OJS 3 with a new MySQL database. All has gone fine until I get to the Submission page of the Journal setup process. The word Loading appears below the “Send a copy to this email address” box and above the Continue/Cancel footer.

I have waited and nothing else happens, I have tried restarting the process from the first step without success. If I click continue I get this as the next page:

{"status":true,"content":"","elementId":"0"}

Any ideas what is causing this or any suggestions for testing?

The server information (from an existing old OJS install) is:

OS platform Linux
PHP version 5.3.29
Apache version Not available
Database driver mysql
Database server version 5.6.31

Thanks

Ian

Hi @ianm,

Can you start by checking your PHP error log to see if anything relevant appears there?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Couldn’t find anything related to the OJS installation in the error logs. Tried to create another journal and got the same problem. Then I went to the users stage by clicking on the tab at the top and then on the Indexing and finally back to submission and then Submission metadata appeared! So now, it appears to be working.

The workaround seems to be to miss the step and then come back to it.

Happy to investigate further if you have any suggestions.

Ian

Hi @ianm,

Are you handy with a web developer toolset like Firebug for Firebox? If I were debugging this, I’d watch the console for a Javascript error. Encountering one of these can prevent further scripts from executing, leading to behavior like you describe.

Alternately, if you’re willing to PM me temporary login credentials to your installation, I can have a look.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I wouldn’t say handy, but I have one installed, so will try.

OK, as soon as I go to create a new journal, I see:

GET https://www.mydomain.com/journals/plugins/generic/lucene/js/LuceneAutocompleteHandler.js 404 (Not Found)

There isn’t a lucene directory in that path either on the server or in the ZIP file I downloaded.

Hi @ianm,

There’s a line in templates/common/minifiedScripts.tpl you can remove to resolve this; see:

However, I’m not sure that’ll explain the problem you were encountering. Can you remove that line and test it again?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I have removed that line and the lucene error has gone, but there is a TypeError:

I did see it (the TypeError) before when going into the setup wizard but not from the create journal page.

Hi @ianm,

Did you install from the .tar.gz, or from Github? It looks like you’re missing a submodule in lib/pkp/js/lib/jquery/plugins/spectrum/.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I downloaded the ojs-3.0.0.tar.gz from https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/ojs_download/

Hi @ianm,

Do you see anything in lib/pkp/js/lib/jquery/plugins/spectrum in your installation?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes:

Hi @ianm,

If you look at the page source, do you see its script included? It should look like…

<script src="http://(your URL)/lib/pkp/js/lib/jquery/plugins/spectrum/spectrum.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No, I can’t see any mention of spectrum in the page source.

Ian

Hi @ianm,

It looks like the colour picker is not loaded in the settings wizard. I’ve filed this for attention at Spectrum colour picker not loaded in journal settings wizard · Issue #1795 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub and it’ll probably result in a patch fairly quickly. However, in the meantime you can access all the settings forms via the “Settings” sidebar menu item; the problem won’t appear there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I confirm the same error with my clean install. But in my case it is hard to reproduce twice.

Same issue here. Seems to affect the installation of Bootstrap theme as well.

Hi all,

There’s a patch to resolve this at the issue linked above.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Many thanks. After making the changes, I’ve run through the settings wizard for one journal and all seems fine.

Ian