Giving section editor access to book review process

I’ve recently started using the Books for Review plugin, which seems really good. My problem is that although we already have a Reviews section in the journal and a Section Editor responsible for it, I (Editor and Journal Manager) seem to be the only one who can assign and approve requests to review. How can I pass this on to the Section Editor?

thanks for any advice,
David

Hi @davidp,

Before you get too much further, I should warn you that the Books For Review plugin is deprecated in favour of the Objects For Review plugin, which is also included in recent releases and is much more flexible. I’ll tag @bozana to have a look at your workflow question.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks, I’ll look into the Objects for Review plugin; we’re currently using OJS 2.3.8.0, so maybe we don’t have OfR?

thanks,
David

Hi @davidp,

Yes, I’d suggest upgrading if at all possible. OJS 2.3.8 is quite old.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Publc Knowledge Project Team

Hi David,

Unfortunately, both plug-ins (Books For Review as well as Objects For Review) are at the moment considered only for editors and to change this would need enough changes in the code :frowning:
We do plan to consider other roles i.e. persons in the Objects For Review plug-in, but at the moment I unfortunately cannot tell when :frowning: As soon as I have a better plan/overview, I can post it here.

Best!
Bozana

Hmmm… Maybe it will not need so much changes for the Books For Review plug-in. I will have to test it…
Do you maybe have an opportunity to test a patch somewhere, but not on a productive system?

Best!
Bozana

Thanks Bozana for looking into this.

The technical side of our journal is in the hands of our IT department, who are sometimes very helpful, sometimes too busy to help, sometimes reluctant to get involved with tinkering…

Could you send me any more details about what’s needed? And I’ll see if I can catch them at a helpful time :smile:

David

Hi David,

Here is a patch for the OJS 2.4.6:

i.e.
https://github.com/bozana/ojs/commit/6c3c3c2df041e201268db3ea7aaa64c438b173ec.diff

Eventually you can see what changes are needed and adopt it for your OJS version.

Hope that helps.
Best!
Bozana

Thanks very much, Bozana.

I will use this but not immediately - probably after the next time we update OJS, because adaptations tend not to be prioritized by our IT department.

Best wishes,
David

For those who would need the functionality, s. Giving section editor access to book review process · Issue #777 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for the OJS 2.4.6 patch. This will not be part of the official release.