Empty email to all users when we create a new announcements

Thank you Alec. I give these two problems threads titles in the forum here:
I haven’t still solved problems due to probably I haven’t enough programming knowledge. That beats me.

1. Upgraded to 2.4.6 and Submission Acknowledgement email is not sent anymore
    Upgraded to 2.4.6 and Submission Acknowledgement email is not sent anymore

2. Error in “Stats & Reports” page.
    Error in "Stats & Reports" page - #5 by ctgraham

Hello. I want to add that blank subscription notifications are also an issue on our instance. We are on 2.4.8.1; I am not sure which of the upgrades did not carry the templates over.

Manually creating 3 email templates as recommended above does resolve the issue. However in our case it will mean doing so for 37+ hosted journals.

Is there a patch available or plans to make one? Thank you.

Hi @MariyaM,

I don’t believe it’s necessary to enter these templates for all journals – if you create the entry in the email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data tables, it should be sufficient to do it once for the entire site.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher

Adding to Mariya’s post; we are trying to retroactively add those templates.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but changing the default only affects new journals and old ones with reset?
I’m judging from the assoc_id column in email_templates

Best,

Sean

Hi @SeanXiaoZhao,

The .xml files are installed into the database when the system is first installed (and some upgrade tasks will add additional templates from XML files); they’re installed into the email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data tables, which are not journal-specific. When a journal needs to look up an email template it first checks the journal-specific email_templates_data and email_templates tables; if nothing is present (representing a journal-specific template customization), then it’ll fall back to the email_templates_default and email_templates_default_data templates for the system-wide defaults.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks for the info; we’ll add the NOTIFICATION, NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST_WELCOME and NOTIFICATION_MAILLIST to email_templates_default and their text into email_templates_default_data.
I’m curious as to why the XML files did not update the database when we upgraded - will investigate. Thanks!

Hi @asmecher,

I have the same problem here. There were no NOTIFICATION, NOTIFICATION MAILLIST WELCOME and NOTIFICATION MAILLIST entries in emails_templates_default_data table in english language (although i had those entries in my native language). So i tried 2 scenarios. I created those templates from OJS GUI for one journal and it worked fine (not sure why HTML line breaks are in those templates, because mail is sent as plain text so in mail client i get those br’s visible as text). However, i have many journals in one OJS installation so i thought that adding those 3 templates to the emails_templates_default_data table would be solution for all - but it didn’t work. I tried resetting templates from OJS GUI after i made those changes to the table but it still didn’t work. Can you please explain how should this work and what are my options - is it really necessary for all journals to create those 3 templates from OJS GUI? Thx.

Regards,

Nino

Ok, i think i solved this by inserting those 3 templates in email_templates_default table. Now i get those templates as default templates for all journals.

Regards,

Nino