Customizing themes in OMP

Hi! We want to change the theme of our press. And I have questions:

1. Where can I edit height of the header/footer, change its colors? (file path and the name of the file to edit)
  2. Can I use an image as a background in the header and the body?
  3. I’am using OMP 1.2 and I want to use the carousel for the featured books like in the older versions. Is it possible?

Thanks!

Hi @patriciaaa101,

I’d encourage you to update to OMP 3.1, which was recently released. This version includes up-to-date support for building Child Themes. You can learn more about our theming system here:

https://www.gitbook.com/book/pkp/pkp-theming-guide/details

Using a carousel on your site is possible, but you’ll need to integrate the content in your own theme. We won’t be supporting a homepage carousel in any of our official themes, because user research has shown them to be ineffective UI elements.

Hi! Thank you @NateWr

Hi @NateWr,

I already installed OMP 3.1, Can I change the color of the font, change the header to an image without creating a child theme? And in viewing the books, There is a word Array above the categories, I dunno where it came from. How can I remove it?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Can I change the color of the font, change the header to an image without creating a child theme?

You can upload a logo under Settings > Website > Appearance. If you want the entire header to use a background image, you’ll need to use a child theme. Generally speaking, I don’t recommend it because it’s very difficult to make an image look good across a range of device widths.

And in viewing the books, There is a word Array above the categories, I dunno where it came from. How can I remove it?

No idea. It looks like you have a custom block of some kind that appears just above it, so I’d check your code around that to see if there’s anything stray getting printed.

The code for the categories block is under /templates/frontend/objects/monograph_full.tpl:

But judging from the placement of the word, I’d say it’s something that’s happening before the categories block, so more likely caused by the block above it.

Hello @NateWr , the block above the categories is the button where I can download the file right? But how can I fix this? Thanks :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I don’t know. I can’t debug it remotely and I can’t reproduce it on my end. You’ll need to dig into the code to discover what’s printing that Array message. One tip is to try removing bits of code and see if it still appears. That will help you narrow down the source of it.

Hi @NateWr , I just tried installing omp 3.1 again, because I think it will take more time if I dig into the codes. I also tried changing the color of the text, footer without creating a child theme. And it worked. The next thing that I’m going to try is If I can use image for the background in the header.

Btw, I can’t click on the links in the spotlight in the latest version of OMP but in the previous version it works.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi
Any solution for this?

Hi @Carlos_Ferreira,

Is this the same issue as you posted over here? Please don’t double-post – it clutters the forum.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like