Code bugs in CrossRef ExportPlugIn

Hi, I use CrossRef ExportPlugin to register DOIs. Everything seems work right until I chose “Register DOIs automatically”. It has this statement “OJS will deposit article DOIs automatically to CrossRef as articles are published. Please note that this may take a short amount of time after publication to process. You can check for all unregistered DOIs in the unregistered articles listing.”

When I checked for “all unregistered DOIs in the unregistered articles listing” for 1 journal (this journal has over 2,000 articles), the opened webpage did NOT display any options of “register” (see ).

When I checked the same setting for another journal (this journal only has 15 articles), it worked. It displayed the options to register DOIs automatically. (see image2)
So there seems having a bug to handle big numbers of unregistered articles.

It could be bugs or it could be time-out? So if time-out, how do I resolve this issue?

Hi @Y_H

To register such a huge number of articles at once is surely a problem – the script might need lots of time and resources for execution (for each DOI, the script has to get all the necessary data from the DB, to process the data appropriately and then construct the XML). If it would succeed I am also not sure what would happen on the Crossref end, e.g. if there are any restrictions there. Thus I would suggest not doing it automatically, but using the “Register” button in OJS and doing it issue-by-issue, for example.
If you would have good resources, e.g. a strong server, lots of memory and a configuration that a PHP script execution time can take long time, you could maybe test or even also somehow debug it, to see how it proceeds. We could eventually try to do so as well i.e. to test such extreme situations, but it is not a high priority for us at the moment…

Best,
Bozana

Hi, Bozana,

Thanks for reply.

I have tested to register a few articles. I was able to click “register”. Then there was an error message showing that

"Redisplay
AllLast
Notification
The date published is missing for the article with ID 13008. "

Articles_id is 13008 is not very much helpful. How do I associate the article id with the real one?

Hi @Y_H

You could for example es editor go to any article and just change the article ID in the URL.

You could eventually check the DB table “published_articles” to find all published articles with the missing date_published. Eventually you could also fix it directly in the DB.

Best,
Bozana

The feature to search by article id is being added here:

It seems to me that the user is using OJS 2.4.x and the search submissions by ID is in OJS 3. In that case it cannot be used :frowning:

Editors can search by Submission Id natively in 2.4.x:

Aaaaaaaaa… cool :wink: THANKS!!!